Fur length

GuineaMel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m very new to Guinea pigs so please bear with me if this is a silly question, but do long haired piggies have long fur from birth or can it grow later?

I got 2 girls a month ago (they were 14 weeks then) and since then one of them has grown longer bits of fur behind her ears and around her back end. I don’t mind if she is long haired just want to be prepared!

Larry had some longer hair in areas. It was relatively short when he was born, it didn't grow long until he was a bit older ☺️
We've also had a few long haired piggies born at the rescue, but they weren't long haired at birth.

Thank you everyone for your answers and the hair cutting guide.

Pictures here, of both Anna (with more colour) and Elsa (more white and with longer bits of fur). Elsa is more skittish and not keen on me coming towards her with my phone but hopefully you can see something!

59FFBF1C-1A73-4892-8FCA-11016DA665CC.webp35238262-7D2F-4CD3-A370-0C0403BCBBB6.webpE129DC50-C2C8-4979-9A20-F07CCFB6BCE0.webp

It can just keep on growing as they get older, they aren't born with long hair. For instance, here's a picture of Misa as a baby (the little one in the front...)
1692334939534.webp

And here is Misa a month or so later...
1692335051459.webp
And here she is about six weeks later (she needs a haircut here, we do trim it off the ground!)
1692335316670.webp

That said, I've had some pigs that were sheltie mixes who never grew long hair all over, they just grew long pieces behind their ears and a 'skirt' at the back. With coat types, especially with mixed breed pigs, as most of them are, you kind of have to wait and see what happens!

It can just keep on growing as they get older, they aren't born with long hair. For instance, here's a picture of Misa as a baby (the little one in the front...)
View attachment 230578

And here is Misa a month or so later...
View attachment 230579
And here she is about six weeks later (she needs a haircut here, we do trim it off the ground!)
View attachment 230580

That said, I've had some pigs that were sheltie mixes who never grew long hair all over, they just grew long pieces behind their ears and a 'skirt' at the back. With coat types, especially with mixed breed pigs, as most of them are, you kind of have to wait and see what happens!
Thanks Freela, love the pictures

Back