• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal? Pus? Strange White Lumpy Matter? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello again guys,

I have discovered yet another problem with one of my girls this morning. Bear has a strange lumpy white/green matter above her nose which doesn't wipe off and I'm suspecting some sort of fungal infection? It's in a strip down her nose and looks like lots of tiny white eggs or pustules almost but they don't wipe or scrape off (gently). Has anyone ever seen this before? I have never seen any areas of skin on my girls like this :(

I have attached photos...

Happy Easter

image.webp

image.webp

image.webp

That does look like a fungal nose strip. Sometimes called teddy nose I think. I usually treat with a topical cream like Canesten but see what your vet suggests. Ideally the infected hair needs to be removed before treatment. This type of fungal does not usually spread.

I have just researched thoroughly today and it definitely is a fungal nose strip/teddy bear nose! My vet is away for two weeks now and don't really want to visit her emergency replacement as she is so brilliant. It doesn't appear to be urgent from what I have read and I am planning on treating with Canesten also. Do you apply daily with the 1% cream? Is it a particular type of Canesten cream or just the basic thrush cream? Thank you @helen105281

It's the nappy rash one which I think is 1%. An alternative is Povidone Iodine. You can even alternate the 2 weekly. I would still get the vet to have a look when she is back though even just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will definitely get it checked by my vet when she returns as I will be seeing her anyway, so glad it isn't anything horrific and not too likely to spread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back