Full time job and emergency syringe feeding

Digital-Sneeze

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who is the sole carer of their pigs, and who has a full time job, manages when it comes to the inevitable round the clock emergency syringe feed?

When I was with my partner I could afford to have a part time job, which kept me free for pig emergencies, but since they've been living with me alone I'm realising now that a part time job will not cut it, after a £750 vet spend in 3 weeks (though that doesn't come close to the £2000 my partner and I once spent in 2 weeks a few years ago).

I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation. A full time job will keep me away from them for at least 8 or 9 hours, and in times when they stop eating that seems like a death sentence due to GI stasis. I can't really rely on anyone either, especially as these emergencies can last weeks (my record was 4 weeks straight of round the clock feeding).

There doesn't seem to be any pet carers near me that could deal with guinea pigs, and I would much rather not get a split morning / evening job, but that feels like the only option right now.

Any novel solutions?

Have you asked your employer whether they would be open to your piggies coming in to work with you in a hospital cage if they were ill?
I know of cases where this has been approved before :)
It is this fear which is putting me off restarting the piggy cycle in the future too- I hope you can find a solution.

Have you asked your employer whether they would be open to your piggies coming in to work with you in a hospital cage if they were ill?
I know of cases where this has been approved before :)
It is this fear which is putting me off restarting the piggy cycle in the future too- I hope you can find a solution.
As a matter of fact I did ask that at a recent interview I had, which was for a night support worker. They said they would have to check. I was actually offered the job but I turned it down as they ended offering me only day shifts at absurd hours, with travelling.

I suppose it depends what I end up getting, but support work is what I'm aiming for at the moment, but it's always a possibility.

And thank you! I hope you also find yourself with pigs again in good circumstances!

Hope something comes up for you. Syringe feeding poorly piggies is so time consuming and totally draining x

Hope something comes up for you. Syringe feeding poorly piggies is so time consuming and totally draining x
Indeed, I ended up having seizures after a month of 4am and every 4 hour feeds, but totally worth it as that pig went on for another 2 and half years after he suddenly decided to be fine again.

I work full time, sometimes long hours, and can't support feed for more than a very short time for this reason. Luckily, I wasn't in this situation very often.
My only options are taking time off work, working from home (if possible) or taking the sick piggy to work (which isn't very practical). Most of the times, I tried to work for shorter hours for a few days.

I work full time, sometimes long hours, and can't support feed for more than a very short time for this reason. Luckily, I wasn't in this situation very often.
My only options are taking time off work, working from home (if possible) or taking the sick piggy to work (which isn't very practical). Most of the times, I tried to work for shorter hours for a few days.
That must be stressful, it sounds like you're managing though. Fingers crossed your piggies all stay nice and healthy.

You just do what you can.15ml feeds where you can .I've been feeding a piggie for 8 weeks ,I've 2 piggies now needing syringe feeding.i aim for 60mls aday,otherwise I would not be able to do other things.
7am,2pm,7pm and 10.30pm feeds at present.
You could leave at the vets during the day if that's an option for feeding .
I would be happy to syringe feed anyone's piggies if they live near enough.

I agree with @eileen , feed as and when you can aiming for a total of around 70ml in 24 hours. Some piggies will also eat a little syringe food for themselves if left in a bowl. It is rare for piggies to need syringe food every 4 hour hours day and night, so hopefully you won't need to go through that again. If they are eating nothing for themselves I would also recommend asking your vet for a gut motility drug, such as emeprid, to give them twice a day, which can make a huge difference to preventing stasis.

I agree with @eileen , feed as and when you can aiming for a total of around 70ml in 24 hours. Some piggies will also eat a little syringe food for themselves if left in a bowl. It is rare for piggies to need syringe food every 4 hour hours day and night, so hopefully you won't need to go through that again. If they are eating nothing for themselves I would also recommend asking your vet for a gut motility drug, such as emeprid, to give them twice a day, which can make a huge difference to preventing stasis.
Yeah I just had a bad case of bloat, which I managed to sort after 5 days or so thanks to pain meds and gut motility drugs. I'm fairly sure she may not have eaten by herself but I may be underestimating their survival instincts. But yeah, modified diet now so hopefully no more bloat, to that degree anyway.

You just do what you can.15ml feeds where you can .I've been feeding a piggie for 8 weeks ,I've 2 piggies now needing syringe feeding.i aim for 60mls aday,otherwise I would not be able to do other things.
7am,2pm,7pm and 10.30pm feeds at present.
You could leave at the vets during the day if that's an option for feeding .
I would be happy to syringe feed anyone's piggies if they live near enough.
Good point about the vets, I hadn't actually considered that they might be willing to take them and give them a feed or two. I imagine it might be pricey but definitely worth it as an option.

I hope your poorly pig improves soon.

Back