Fruit & Veg pigs CANT have

arightcharlie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m not sure if this is already a thread but can I have some clarification on what fruit and veg Guinea Pigs cannot have? I’ve read so many conflicting guides

This guide will help you

Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

You need to ensure high calcium veg such as spinach, kale and parsley is kept limited to one small amount, once per week only.
Fruit and carrot is also kept limited to an occasional treat (fruit isnt needed in their diet) and only in small amounts, no more than once week due to the sugars

This guide will help you

Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

You need to ensure high calcium veg such as spinach, kale and parsley is kept limited to one small amount, once per week only.
Fruit and carrot is also kept limited to an occasional treat (fruit isnt needed in their diet) and only in small amounts, no more than once week due to the sugars
Thank you so much. Do they benefit from corn on the cob with the husks?

In my experience they blooming love them as an occasional treat and tend to scoff pretty quickly, so benefit in that way! :drool::))
Would one between two twice a week sound ok?
:agr:
Mine love them but they are considered more of a treat
Would they eat what we don’t on it’s own? Because I’m thinking my kids love them so we could have one each and the pigs could share one and then they have the leaves off ours too?

Would they eat what we don’t on it’s own? Because I’m thinking my kids love them so we could have one each and the pigs could share one and then they have the leaves off ours too?
I tend to feed them maybe once every 6 weeks (ish), I cut one into 4 for my 4 pigs :)
I feed babycorn as well to my two older pigs (to help keep their weight up), they maybe get one a week/fortnight depending what I buy with the shopping as like to give them all a good variety :) (basically they’re spoilt beggars that eat better than me! 😆) The younger two get them as a treat maybe every six weeks (ish!) as well, I change it up a bit.

Last edited:
You can feed them stuff like coriander , salad mixes (ie not containing iceberg) bell peppers , lettuce ie (all varieties but not iceberg) cucumber most of there diet should be made up of good quality Timothy or medow hay

Absolutely - mine rarely get the corn itself, but I do feed 1 outer corn husk and a few of the silks to the piggies when we are eating them.
Just like we get the carrots and they get the peelings - mean piggy parent here!

Absolutely - mine rarely get the corn itself, but I do feed 1 outer corn husk and a few of the silks to the piggies when we are eating them.
Just like we get the carrots and they get the peelings - mean piggy parent here!
If mine don’t have boney old lady/boy bums they probably get it even less than that really (my life is a blur of pig veg!), I’m not that generous! 😆
Luigi hasn’t had any since our last vet trip, and carrots only once! :yikes: He gets a bit of lettuce these days instead the porker, and couldn’t care less as long as there’s something to stuff in that face! 🐷:))

Here's what my guys have everyday:
Romaine lettuce, coriander, cucumber, peppers, green beans and celery.

On top of this they may (not always, maybe once a week. Twice max.) have one of the following:
Radish, kale, fennel, carrot tops or peels, parsnip peel, swede peel, spinach, watercress, melon, blackberries, strawberries, cabbage or spring greens.

I give mine Bell peppers (make sure take out seeds of course) Cucumber, celery (cut in small chunks so they dont choke on the string) Watermelon(mother not so keen tho) again without seeds. Hay , carrots . and strawberries . I haven't tried them on anything else yet. I'm sure someone else already posted this here but this is what i go by as well 253699683_10226392302851401_7959481154879566607_n.webp

I give mine Bell peppers (make sure take out seeds of course) Cucumber, celery (cut in small chunks so they dont choke on the string)

Contrary to popular belief they can eat the whole pepper including the seeds. Also don't worry about celery strings, their front teeth cut and their back teeth grind food so it's difficult for them to choke (unless they're scoffing then they'll choke even on the smallest of things). You wouldn't cut up long strands of hay or grass, so don't worry about celery. 😊

Also be careful with that guide. Tomato's can't be fed everyday because of sugar and acidity. Parsley and dandelion should be even more limited because of calcium content. Carrots max once a week. While it's a good guide, don't sick to it exactly.😊

I give mine Bell peppers (make sure take out seeds of course) Cucumber, celery (cut in small chunks so they dont choke on the string) Watermelon(mother not so keen tho) again without seeds. Hay , carrots . and strawberries . I haven't tried them on anything else yet. I'm sure someone else already posted this here but this is what i go by as well View attachment 190070
That’s quite a helpful list I might screen shot that

Contrary to popular belief they can eat the whole pepper including the seeds. Also don't worry about celery strings, their front teeth cut and their back teeth grind food so it's difficult for them to choke (unless they're scoffing then they'll choke even on the smallest of things). You wouldn't cut up long strands of hay or grass, so don't worry about celery. 😊

Also be careful with that guide. Tomato's can't be fed everyday because of sugar and acidity. Parsley and dandelion should be even more limited because of calcium content. Carrots max once a week. While it's a good guide, don't sick to it exactly.😊
Mine to girlies are currently stuffing there faces with hay 🤣

I give mine Bell peppers (make sure take out seeds of course) Cucumber, celery (cut in small chunks so they dont choke on the string) Watermelon(mother not so keen tho) again without seeds. Hay , carrots . and strawberries . I haven't tried them on anything else yet. I'm sure someone else already posted this here but this is what i go by as well View attachment 190070
I would be careful of this guide. Parsley shouldn’t be fed 2-4 times a week. Bell pepper can be fed daily. I’d also say 20 sprigs of coriander is a lot. Mine tend to get maybe maximum 6 between 2.

The guide we have on here (linked to above) is more than comprehensive.

I would be careful of this guide. Parsley shouldn’t be fed 2-4 times a week. Bell pepper can be fed daily. I’d also say 20 sprigs of coriander is a lot. Mine tend to get maybe maximum 6 between 2.

I don’t feed mine parsley daily and I only give a few sprigs of corriander

oh i see, thank you.

I agree with @Siikibam. I would also be very careful with that - there are things on there which would not be considered appropriate to feed as often as it says.
Tomatoes are just one more example, they cannot be fed daily due to the acidity and risk of causing cheilitis

Last edited:
Back