Fruit pots

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 147427

Hi was just wondering can u give guinea pigs fruit out the fruit pots u can get in the fruit aisle at supermarkets

Yes, if it's a fruit they can eat occasionally. About once a year mine get a little melon from those individual fruit pots.

Mine like strawberry tops. But just very occasional fruit. It's tempting to see them happy, but then you'll be seeing early illness and vet bills feeding fruit often.

I'd say focus on veggies and hay. They don't need fruit really. Plus as they're new, you don't want to be bombarding them with new foods every few days. They need time to settle down and trust you and the foods you give them. Wait for them to know a food is safe and wait a week before introducing a new one

I'd say focus on veggies and hay. They don't need fruit really. Plus as they're new, you don't want to be bombarding them with new foods every few days. They need time to settle down and trust you and the foods you give them. Wait for them to know a food is safe and wait a week before introducing a new one
Great advice.

I usually mostly give them the same thing most days which is romaine lettuce and peppers and some corriander maybe once or twice a week I’ll give them a little kale or cucumber or carrot

I have to agree with Engel - focus on a good hay based diet with some variety in veggies being introduced slowly.
I personally would not feed the puréed fruit pots as a matter of routine

:agr:
My guys normally get kale or carrot once every 2 weeks or so and that's only if I don't eat it first :))

Here's what's on today's menu: (this is the portion for 1 pig) Romaine lettuce, coriander, cucumber, celery, pepper, green bean and for a treat, a small chunk of radish and some cabbage. IMG_20211123_154837550.jpg

They then get 1 tbsp of pellets per pig, which works out about 8g per pig (I use science selective grain free). Then I ensure they never run out of hay. Mine prefer meadow but sometimes I treat them with Timothy or orchard. To top it off, at night time before I go to bed, I sprinkle some forage in the hay for enrichment.

Tomorrow's menu will be the same minus cabbage and radish.

:agr:
My guys normally get kale or carrot once every 2 weeks or so and that's only if I don't eat it first :))

Here's what's on today's menu: (this is the portion for 1 pig) Romaine lettuce, coriander, cucumber, celery, pepper, green bean and for a treat, a small chunk of radish and some cabbage. View attachment 190067

They then get 1 tbsp of pellets per pig, which works out about 8g per pig (I use science selective grain free). Then I ensure they never run out of hay. Mine prefer meadow but sometimes I treat them with Timothy or orchard. To top it off, at night time before I go to bed, I sprinkle some forage in the hay for enrichment.

Tomorrow's menu will be the same minus cabbage and radish.
What kind of cabbage is that? In my years of having piggies I've not really gone down the cabbage route, but I have a new baby and she's not eating much veg. She ate something from a mixed salad bag that looked like the cabbage on your plate. I'm giving her what she'll eat at the moment as she has a URI and is smaller than her sister, as I transition her onto usual veg. That's crinkly, not a plain white cabbage?
Thanks.

What kind of cabbage is that? In my years of having piggies I've not really gone down the cabbage route, but I have a new baby and she's not eating much veg. She ate something from a mixed salad bag that looked like the cabbage on your plate. I'm giving her what she'll eat at the moment as she has a URI and is smaller than her sister, as I transition her onto usual veg. That's crinkly, not a plain white cabbage?
Thanks.
It's Savoy. I rarely give cabbage if I'm honest. Even spring greens are rare as Eris is really sensitive to cabbages and broccoli. Kale she can cope with in very small amounts but again that's rare.

Poor little one. Hope she recovers quickly. If you start by giving her small amounts and see how she reacts then go from there. Obviously if she starts bloating, showing pain or has funny poos then stop. Have you tried her with probiotics? Might help restock the gut if she's having tummy ache especially if she's on antibiotics for the URI.

Ah savoy. Thanks will get some. Yes just tiny bits of something that seems familiar for comfort, as she recovers. Yes all 4 are now on antibiotics for URI so I'm sprinkling Pro C on their veg and limiting other treats to help their tummies 👍

Back