fruit and veg list check

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
how does my list look? i have taken advice from the list on here and just picked foods we can get hold of / use anyway so nothing will go to waste!

Attachments

• 084ECF50-9F54-4029-97CF-CF579092D714.webp
    084ECF50-9F54-4029-97CF-CF579092D714.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 24
Yep, that’s good.

I would not give baby corn 2-4 times a week though. Root veg (carrot, parsnips) and grains (which include sweetcorn) should only be occasional treats so baby corn no more than once per week (such items can contribute to bladder problems).

Remember also, fruit is fine to be given as a treat but it doesn’t need to be in the diet at all.

(my boys are convinced courgette is poison, they refuse to even look at it, let alone eat it!).

Yep, that’s good.

I would not give baby corn 2-4 times a week though. Root veg (carrot, parsnips) and grains (which include sweetcorn) should only be occasional treats so baby corn no more than once per week (such items can contribute to bladder problems).

Remember also, fruit is fine to be given as a treat but it doesn’t need to be in the diet at all.

(my boys are convinced courgette is poison, they refuse to even look at it, let alone eat it!).
fabulous thankyou! will move baby corn to ‘in moderation’ then, yes of corse! will be a treat and only a treat!

And to add to what @Piggies&buns says, you will find that sometimes they will be adamant that a food may be something every other guinea pig loves, but they refuse point blank to even acknowledge it. Comet wouldn't eat coriander, ever. Comet and Blitzen loved thyme, Bann and Cam refuse to even acknowledge it exists. Some have eaten spring greens, some have eaten banana, some have eaten carrots, some have eaten cucumber, some have eaten baby corn, some have eaten green beans, sugarsnap peas, mangetout. And the others have refused to go near them.

Sorry, that's my very long winded way of saying "lists are great, prepare for your guineas to not care such lists exist". Fussiness is an art form to them.

And to add to what @Piggies&buns says, you will find that sometimes they will be adamant that a food may be something every other guinea pig loves, but they refuse point blank to even acknowledge it. Comet wouldn't eat coriander, ever. Comet and Blitzen loved thyme, Bann and Cam refuse to even acknowledge it exists. Some have eaten spring greens, some have eaten banana, some have eaten carrots, some have eaten cucumber, some have eaten baby corn, some have eaten green beans, sugarsnap peas, mangetout. And the others have refused to go near them.

Sorry, that's my very long winded way of saying "lists are great, prepare for your guineas to not care such lists exist". Fussiness is an art form to them.
haha of corse!

I agree with the others. My 4 get a baby sweetcorn between them twice a week. Fruit isn’t necessary at all in their diet, so mine seldom get anything other than a single blueberry from time to time.

I agree with the others. My 4 get a baby sweetcorn between them twice a week. Fruit isn’t necessary at all in their diet, so mine seldom get anything other than a single blueberry from time to time.

thankyou!

You also have to be careful with spinach, parsley and kale. They are high in calcium so I would only give one of them max once a week. 1 leaf of spinach is enough per piggy.

Tomatoes and oranges are also acidic and can cause mouth sores so I would feed less than once a week. Same for all fruits and high calcium veg actually.

My piggies get the staples and love them - cucumber, bell pepper, coriander when I can get a decent bag!, lettuce leaf and green beans if I have them in. They’ll occasionally get celery if my husband buys it. And a small slice of carrot if we have it in. I rarely buy parsley. If I do, they (4 piggies now 3) eat the packet over a few weeks. They have had courgette. Not entirely convinced but it wasn’t the beast out to eat them…like strawberries 🙄

You also have to be careful with spinach, parsley and kale. They are high in calcium so I would only give one of them max once a week. 1 leaf of spinach is enough per piggy.

Tomatoes and oranges are also acidic and can cause mouth sores so I would feed less than once a week. Same for all fruits and high calcium veg actually.

My piggies get the staples and love them - cucumber, bell pepper, coriander when I can get a decent bag!, lettuce leaf and green beans if I have them in. They’ll occasionally get celery if my husband buys it. And a small slice of carrot if we have it in. I rarely buy parsley. If I do, they (4 piggies now 3) eat the packet over a few weeks. They have had courgette. Not entirely convinced but it wasn’t the beast out to eat them…like strawberries 🙄

okay thankyou! wow 1 leaf is that all!
haha bless them! i’ve given my girls some pepper and some sweet gem lettuce tonight, i think i may have cut up a bit too much so did put it all in, i’ll be more careful from now on.. heres a pic after i cut it all up, like i said i didn’t put it all in though.

Attachments

• 8C35E76F-F972-404D-93EB-8FDA1A1BD7FE.webp
    8C35E76F-F972-404D-93EB-8FDA1A1BD7FE.webp
    74.1 KB · Views: 13
By the way if they’ve not been eating much veg where they were then you’ll need to introduce it slowly. Don’t forget to sleep 🤣

PS I do a slice of pepper (about finger width) and one lettuce leaf. If it’s the big ones then they get half each.

By the way if they’ve not been eating much veg where they were then you’ll need to introduce it slowly. Don’t forget to sleep 🤣

PS I do a slice of pepper (about finger width) and one lettuce leaf. If it’s the big ones then they get half each.

they have been fed a different array of veg but ill definitely be more wary from now on and only give them smaller ammounts! i forget as well they are only 8 weeks so still babies! iv only had adult rescues before who obviously eat more lol, i feel so overwhelmed!🥵

they have been fed a different array of veg but ill definitely be more wary from now on and only give them smaller ammounts! i forget as well they are only 8 weeks so still babies! iv only had adult rescues before who obviously eat more lol, i feel so overwhelmed!🥵

You'll get there! I took in the goblins in January after ~4 years of not having guinea pigs and I spent a good chunk of time going "What am I even doing". Felt like I couldn't remember anything useful. They're still alive and happy to see me 3 months later, so I can't be getting it all wrong, lol. It'll take time to settle that routine, but it will happen.

You'll get there! I took in the goblins in January after ~4 years of not having guinea pigs and I spent a good chunk of time going "What am I even doing". Felt like I couldn't remember anything useful. They're still alive and happy to see me 3 months later, so I can't be getting it all wrong, lol. It'll take time to settle that routine, but it will happen.

thanks so much! i have learnt SO much since owning my last babies and its a lot to take in!

Take your time. You can ask questions - there is nothing too silly. And don’t worry we’ve all been there. I’ve had my boys for going on 5 years in august. I was still working things out past the first year of ownership.

Take your time. You can ask questions - there is nothing too silly. And don’t worry we’ve all been there. I’ve had my boys for going on 5 years in august. I was still working things out past the first year of ownership.

thankyou so much, i’m so grateful for everyones help and this forum, its the best!

Be prepared that today’s favourite food will be poison tomorrow.
My girls hated coriander until Micah joined the family and loved it when they were staying with a friend while we moved house.

Suddenly they all loved it!

When I got my boys I started a list. But to be honest if you buy a bag of spinach and can only give them a leaf each you’re going to waste a lot. I now only buy veg that I eat too. I was wasting so much as it wasn’t staying fresh for longer than a week. My boys now get romaine lettuce, pepper, cucumber, coriander and green beans daily.

Sweetcorn, sweet potato, apple and carrot as a treat only (hardly ever). No other fruit or tomatoes as I worry about cheilitis. Hope that helps.

When I got my boys I started a list. But to be honest if you buy a bag of spinach and can only give them a leaf each you’re going to waste a lot. I now only buy veg that I eat too. I was wasting so much as it wasn’t staying fresh for longer than a week. My boys now get romaine lettuce, pepper, cucumber, coriander and green beans daily.

Sweetcorn, sweet potato, apple and carrot as a treat only (hardly ever). No other fruit or tomatoes as I worry about cheilitis. Hope that helps.

yes of corse, i’ll be buying things that we eat anyway so like you say, less will be wasted! yummy! yes thats very helpful thankyou!

A small amount of cucumber added shouldn’t do any harm. If you cut about a centimetre thick circle of cucumber and cut it in half they could safely half one half each. And it might just help with hydration.

thankyou!

Back