frightened or enjoying?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaclyn23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaclyn23

I haven't really tried to pick Trixie up yet, since she's so skittish... so today (I play with her everyday) when I was with her I said to myself "okay I'll try to pet her so she'll get used to me touching her then later I might be able to actually pick her up"... So I did, I tried to pet her, And after her running around the cage for a minute or two (well I kind of chased her slowly with my hand) she decided to lay down, and I started to pet her head, I don't know if she was scared or if she was enjoying it? because she just let me touch her without fussing. Although there where times when I was petting her she'd run away. Any tips for her to calm down when I try to touch her/pet her? Where do piggies liked to be pet? I'd really like to pick her up, SHE MOVES SO FAST!

Piggies usually like being touched behind the ears. The best thing to do is be quick and just grab her then take her to a enw area she hasn't been, that way she will only be used to you and so should be cautious about going out, also food at hand keeps them still O0

Sounds like she's starting to get to know that your hand is for loves and treats well done O0
Continue with the playing and yes pick her up quickly and then both of you on the ground and let her play around you, offer her treats and when she comes and starts to eat them slowly stroke her little head :)
They are like lightning aren't they, i scoop with one hand under their tummy and immediately pop my other hand under their bottom so they feel secure and you've then got a firm but gentle grip on them :)
Keep up the good work love :smitten:

even though i ahve had my piggies for a while now they still make a run for freedom when i go to pick them up ::), i pick them up and have my hand under their bottom and they are usually fine once they are out. The way i got to bond with my piggies was just to let them sniff me out while holding some tasty cucumber, that way i could gently stroke them while they munched on the cucumber. :)

They are naturally frightened as they probably think you are prey from above id just take the cage top off and let her jump out onto youput the bottom of the cage on a bed or something and then pick her up shell be less skittish then and then just cuddle her so she feels less frightened and scared and shell then feel secure in your lap do this everyday for a few minutes and I'm sure shell love you sometime soon you just have to be patient - All my piggys run away from me but when i do catch them they love a cuddle and love eating from your hand a fresh piece of fruit/veg so i suggest you try that.

If you just leave her in her cage to settle down or whatever shell never settle down and will just feel comfortable in her cage, as soon as i get a new piggy i hold them and cuddle them as they wil then just get used to you even if its bit by bit it all works out in the end ;)

Even though all mine know me and will come to me, they still dont like being picked up and try to run away. You need to corner her, then quickly pop your hand under her tummy and other hand under her bottom. Get her used to this sooner rather than later as it gets harder the longer you leave it :)

I find with my pigs that rather than suspending them in mid air with the conventional one hand on the tummy and the other supporting the bum for the whole transport time if I let them on my forearm and snuggle into my elbow with my other hand to secure them they aren't half as scared because they have a studier base and they don't see themselves whizzing through the sky :D.

Maybe that will work it has made carrying my pigs a much quieter and calmer ordeal :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back