Fresh Food, No Fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merv987

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We're going to stay with my mum for a week, we take lots of our food anyway for us, so the fridge is usually jam packed so there wont be much room for fresh veggies for my piggies. I'll have a cool box which I can put fresh freezer blocks in daily. Any suggestions for veggies that dont need to kept in the fridge, or any other suggestions?

I guess one option would be to buy small amounts of fresh veggies daily. IMPO, what works best is to settle on foods that both humans and guineas can eat. I.e. where I would usually make a caesar salad with iceberg lettuce for lunch, I opt for romaine lettuce instead, and just pop two leaves in the pigs' cage. It's doesn't take much planning ahead actually. In general, I don't buy separate veggies for us and the pigs, they eat whatever we do, just uncooked.

We'll be out having fun most days so I want to avoid shopping as much as possible.
Rosie Maia, that's what we do at home, but I have 2 fridges so it's no trouble, but it's a volume thing, trying to fit enough veggies for 5 people and 3 gp's for a week into a fridge usually used for 2 people is a bit tricky.
Sport_Billy, that's what i'm after knowing, what will last longest in a cool box,,and what will turn to mush.

When we travel with the pigs long distance, I pack celery, cherry tomatoes, beets and carrots (with tops), which work well for 12 hours without a fridge at room temperature. Judging from that, I think they'd behave well in a cool box. I also pack coriander and parsley - they may get less fresh, but they turn dry, not mushy, sort of hay-like, and the pigs still enjoy them. Finally, apples and bananas work well outside the fridge. What worked horribly for me were pieces peppers (turned mushy at the ends in 5 hours and the smell was horrible) and lettuce. The peppers may be alright, if they aren't chopped up though.

you can buy herbs in pots in supermarkets - I always buy my coriander and dill that way.

The other alternative is grass

Grass might be a good option, there's lots of grass where we're going.
The same applies as fresh veg doesn't it, about a cup a day each. Fresh grass, some pots of herbs and a bit of fresh veg for variety.
Sounds delicious. Thanks

Thanks, we've given them cut grass a couple of times, they've got heir own tray of grass growing in the garden spectate from the lawn, we trim it with scissors. I won't have an out door cage for them so I was thinking of bringing some grass to them rather than leaving them outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back