• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Frequent Sneezing

Rick2522

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all i'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice i purchased two new Piggies (Same Breed) and i've noticed one is sneezing frequently, i've followed the advice on here checked het eyes and listened and i can't hear nothing out of the ordinary, she's very active and playful eating and drinking so i'm just looking for some ideas as to what it could be. Would a visit to the vet be advisable?

Thanks

Hi. we use Barley straw for the bedding and there's no discharge from the eyes, i have noticed when she is sneezing she is clearing her nose so i haven't seen any real discharge, i'm wondering if it is the hay as it is a little dusty.

Hi. we use Barley straw for the bedding and there's no discharge from the eyes, i have noticed when she is sneezing she is clearing her nose so i haven't seen any real discharge, i'm wondering if it is the hay as it is a little dusty.
It could well be the hay.

Thank you, i'm going to use the last bag of hay and then move to fleece bedding i think.
Guinea pigs need hay as part of their diet. It's very important for them to have unlimited access to hay.

Please see a vet.
it may just be irritation from the bedding (I wouldn’t recommend straw as bedding at all) but as health issues need to be ruled out first, particularly as they seem to be new piggies and as you mention purchase I assume you mean shop or breeder, then a vet check is always recommended.

Please see a vet.
it may just be irritation from the bedding (I wouldn’t recommend straw as bedding at all) but as health issues need to be ruled out first, particularly as they seem to be new piggies and as you mention purchase I assume you mean shop or breeder, then a vet check is always recommended.

I agree with @Piggies&buns .

Here is our information for the most common pitfalls that can come with new guinea pigs:

You may also find our collection for New Owners helpful. It contains all the practical information how-to tips on housing, diet and hot weather care as well as plenty of guides to help you understand guinea pig behaviour and learn to spot what is normal and not and how soon to see a vet as well as practical emergency advice. We recommend to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need. With some guides you will pick up on different things at different stages of experience.

All the best. I may be just a sensitivity to hay or pollen but you always need to get the illness angle out of the way first.

Hi all i'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice i purchased two new Piggies (Same Breed) and i've noticed one is sneezing frequently, i've followed the advice on here checked het eyes and listened and i can't hear nothing out of the ordinary, she's very active and playful eating and drinking so i'm just looking for some ideas as to what it could be. Would a visit to the vet be advisable?

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've got her booked in this afternoon for the vet to give her a check over, i've also ordered some fleece bedding to replace the hay bedding but will keep some in for them too eat too. Thank you everyone

I've got her booked in this afternoon for the vet to give her a check over, i've also ordered some fleece bedding to replace the hay bedding but will keep some in for them too eat too. Thank you everyone
Good luck at the vets. I hope it’s nothing to worry about.

My two are on fleece but they love their hay piles too. They have two large piles in with them at all times.

IMG_6331.webp

Also @Rick2522 the grey and yellow bobble mats you can see on top of the fleece are amazing as pee pads to use in areas where they pee the most and can be changed more often than the whole fleece.

Hey Everyone, Just a quick update took Peanut to the vet Friday Aft and the vet ruled out infection, he said they are both very healthy so he said it will be the hay irritating her nose causing her to sneeze so I ordered some fleece bedding coming today and I'm going out to get some bobble mats today, Thank you for your advice hopefully today I'll upload some pics of them.

I'm very glad she's healthy. Remember to wash the bedding before use. It removes any chemical residue and wicks it.

Back