Freezing temperatures for garage piggies!

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Its going to be -5 degrees tonight, I have owned pigs in a garage for 5-6 years now but it never gets easier every winter.
They have multiple snugglesafes, insulation, blankets and proper wool sleeping bags (covering the front) and tons of hay.

Could someone tell me how I would know when the cold is getting the best of them, what to look out for, for example. Its my first winter having a single 5 year old boar outside, which leaves my mind running at 100 miles per hour every night.

Feeling cold to the touch (ears and feet particularly)
lethargy
not wanting to eat so losing weight.

I have two almost 6 year olds and two single youngsters in my shed and my shed seems to be getting colder than it has done before. Not sure what has changed but I plan to find out!
But, even though the temp in the shed is colder than I’d like, they are still warm in their hutches under all the hay, heat pads and insulation and blankets on the hutches.

:agr: And remember that if you feel cold, so will they
I just hope the tons of hay and heat pads keep them over during these nights. I am putting off doing the heat pads until 11pm so they stay warm for longer, my old Winston has one now to bide him over until then.

I also hope its like me getting into bed, my mum hates it but I love my room freezing so I haven't had the heating on in my room for years and I often leave the window open, even when its -5 but when I get in my bed/under my duvet I manage to stay warm.

I just hope the tons of hay and heat pads keep them over during these nights. I am putting off doing the heat pads until 11pm so they stay warm for longer, my old Winston has one now to bide him over until then.

I also hope its like me getting into bed, my mum hates it but I love my room freezing so I haven't had the heating on in my room for years and I often leave the window open, even when its -5 but when I get in my bed/under my duvet I manage to stay warm.
My husband is exactly the same and he loves our bedroom to be freezing although he thankfully doesn’t insist on having the window open.

When I had piggies living in a shed, I was always worried on what I was going to find when the shed windows were frozen solid but the pigs were always toasty warm. They lived free range but had two large wooden houses chocka with hay and snugglesafes and the houses were insulated.

I’m sure your boys will be absolutely fine x

It’s going to be negative 7 tonight and my parents are refusing me taking them inside. I don’t know what to do

It’s going to be negative 7 tonight and my parents are refusing me taking them inside. I don’t know what to do
Sorry excuse my panic post 😂

By some miracle my sister has convinced them to allow me to take them inside!

Back