• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fractured Foot

• Thread starter Thread starter tabby sam and amelia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tabby sam and amelia

Poor Tabby's got a bad leg, she's limping. We've taken her to the vet and they said she's probably fractured one of the tiny bones in her foot. She's got some pain killers to be taken once a day for 8 days but she's not looking very happy at all. She didn't squeak at all when the vet was examining her even though her leg is swollen. I think she hurt it on the ramp. I feel so bad, we've only had the guinea piggies for 12 days and we've already got an injury. She's about a year old and the previous owners kept their guinea piggies in a shed and aviary (all one level) and they're still getting used to their new home with two ramps connecting three levels. Sometimes one piggie is at the top of a ramp stopping another one coming up and she tries to turn around to come back down and I've seen one kind of walk/jump off half way down. Do you think they'll get used to the ramps? The vet said guinea pigs don't usually have problems with ramps. Is there anything else I can do to cheer her up a bit or make her more comfortable while she's recovering, she looks so sad. :(

Also, what kind of cage are you using? is it a c&c cage with ramps meant for piggies? or is it like a tall ferret cage with wire floors and ramps? The problem with these cages are 1.) bumblefoot can occur where the foot is irritated and swells because of the wire flooring, and 2.) guinea pigs like long stretched out space, rather than tall stacked space. Just a thought =D

Hi, it's an outdoor wooden hutch four foot by one foot floor space x 3 levels plus run on grass in front about four foot by four foot. There's no wire flooring, the ramps are long flat pieces of wood with narrow strips of wood across as steps. I wonder if I could replace the ramps with c&c ramps if they are better, where can I check the sizes available?

Oh I think the steps you have are fine then! They just probably aren't used to it yet! ^-^

I'm so sorry to hear about Tabby's leg! I hope she recovers well and everything..

Keep us updated!

Is it possible that she could have fallen or jumped of the side of one of the ramps?

Yes, we think that must be how she hurt herself, the vet advised us to stop her using the ramps until she's recovered so they're all sleeping in the bottom level and we've taken the ramp out so they can't go upstairs. Not sure what to do with the other two tomorrow. If the weather's okay they will have the run area but if not we've blocked the hole where the ramp goes down so that if sam and amelia are bothering poor tabby they can use the two other levels. Today they seemed to be comforting her - so sweet - but the vet said she should be left to rest so we'll have to keep an eye on things tomorrow, see how it goes.

you could put a side on the ramp to ensure they dont fall off, my hubby put sides on one of my ramps which was rather steep using a base board for wooden fences. really cheap, and dead easy to nail along the side of the ramp.

Oh dear good luck with her love :( :(
Tabby these are to help you get better :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Our Sully broke his foot and he eventually healed and had no problems with it other than he couldn't use that foot to clean himself properly and his nails on that foot never grew very much at all

give her extra bedding and mabe move her food + water neare to her bed :smitten: hope shes ok

[colorr]an frsh fru8it an vg!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your good wishes.

maisydaisystar said:
you could put a side on the ramp to ensure they dont fall off, my hubby put sides on one of my ramps which was rather steep using a base board for wooden fences. really cheap, and dead easy to nail along the side of the ramp.
Yes, I'm looking into doing that somehow, I think our ramps are too thin to nail straight into the side but we should be able to put sides on somehow, how high did you do the sides on your ramp? I wonder whether to put just a low edge to stop their little feet slipping off the edge or a bit higher might be better so that it kind of supports their body if they go towards the edge.

Glynis said:
Oh dear good luck with her love :( :(
Tabby these are to help you get better :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Our Sully broke his foot and he eventually healed and had no problems with it other than he couldn't use that foot to clean himself properly and his nails on that foot never grew very much at all

How long did it take for Sully to cheer up and get going again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back