Found unidentified seeds in timothy hay

morumotto

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I've noticed some seeds in my guinea pigs' cage, which seems to be coming from a new box of timothy hay. At first I thought it was fur (one of my piggies is mostly white), but looking at it more closely I see what looks like a seed attached to the end of the white fuzz. Looking online it seems like it might be a milkweed seed?

Should I be worried? Do I need to throw out the whole box of hay?

Attachments

• 20231211_181800.webp
    20231211_181800.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 3
Looking at it more closely, it could also possibly be an immature dandelion seed? I hope someone with better plant knowledge may be able to confirm one way or the other for me!

Hello I’m not an expert but I don’t think you can give milkweed or seeds to guinea pigs
Can you return or exchange it ?
This might be useful but it is for UK
Wild UK forage for guinea pigs

Hello! I did see that it seems like milkweed is an unsafe plant, but I didn't know if that extended to the seeds. Though I'm not even positive if it's milkweed, or maybe dandelion? I'm picking them out as I see them. If it's dandelion I'd rather keep the box (since it's my understanding that dandelion is generally safe), but if it's identified as milkweed I was curious to know if it's so dangerous that I need to throw out the box?

Hi, it does look like a seed from the thistle family, try growing it on a widow still, piggies would enjoy that. Looks too small for milkweed.

Last edited:
Back