Found maggot

miranda2300

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi all regarding a fly that I saw in the room yesterday I found a maggot with a brown head now I am worried
I clean there enclosure every night
My question is what can I use to deep clean are white vinegar or branded cleaners
Many thanks

White vinegar Is fine to use as a cleaner.
Was the maggot in their cage?
As we explained it is only blow flies who lay eggs in flesh. A maggot from any other type of fly in the room/cage will not pose a risk to your piggies.

My daughter found one on her bed so had to strip the bed we slept down stairs I've not seen any in there cage but going to deep clean the room with white vinegar just incase

Everything ok guys I have deep clean the room piggies and daughter happy flies stress me out at the best of the times where I live our food waste bin is took every two weeks which is a joke

A brown head you say... and on the bed?

Have a think about whether you might have 'clothes moths'. They eat wool; so they'll make holes in your woollies (especially the expensive ones!) and can also live quite happily in wool carpets. They don't eat people (or piggies) but when you find the munching maggots it can freak you out a bit - it did me!

There are a few types but the adults are often little raggy-ass golden things that fly in an untidy way. Just over a cm long. A dead give-away is that moths typically fly towards the light but these will try and hide away by crawling under something. The larvae do the damage. In nature they're useful as they eat up all the bits in old bird nests and stuff so they're quite tidy. In the house it's a bit more of a pain.
1665420564133.webp 1665420599917.webp

I thought it could be that but they looked more of a maggot either i had to make sure I deep cleaned for my daughter and piggies

Don't worry - if they are the harmless (unless you're a cardigan) clothes moth you might find the odd one knocking about here or there. You can send a pic next time!

Back