• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

found a lump on heath

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

got heath out on my knee, and was checking him over and found a lump on his side, about 1cm round. going to give it a good check over once bf has had his dinner so he can hold him still while i get a good luck. will phone vets tomorrow to get it looked at, thank god i found a cavy savvy vet when i did!

ok the lump is on his side, just behind his front leg, is a little bigger than i originally thought, and has a fresh looking scab on top of it ?

anyone have any idea what it could be? as i said before i can call the vet tomorrow and get him booked in O0

It could have been an abcess? (or can sebaceous cycsts burst and cause a scab, does anyone know?) Best to go to the vet as planned. In the meantime, I'm sure someone more experienced in medical should be along soon.

Hope he is ok Lez, does sound like something simple and not a mass of any sort. But I am no expert, fingers crossed. x

ok ive discovered there is actually 2 lumps. one is new and one looks much older. after a few chats and suggestions i gave the little one a soft squeeze and loads of puss came out of the fresh scab, and now its empty, so I'm going to bathe it now.

the other one however is much bigger and harder and is different to the smaller one. think i might have to visit a vet with that one

heath is booked in at the vets for 2:50 :) to get the lump checked out. and ill be seeing the vet who is good with piggys again.

i reckon it could be either an absess or a sebacious cyst, but as ive never experienced either before I'm not sure.

looks like its common at the min with all the people posting about piggies with lumps :(

i feel really bad i didnt notice it sooner, as i took him to the vets shortly after i got him and could have got it sorted then if id known :(

*get well dance* happening here love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Come on our little friend Heath get rid of that nasty lump >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
awwwww give him some lovely little kisses on his nose and ears from me and Duke sends him some piggie kisses, oh gosh manly of course :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

thanks glynis :smitten: ill pass him some piggy kisses on for you :smitten: :smitten:

good luck at the vets, Handsome chap hope all goes well O0 O0

Hope all goes ok at the vets. O0 :smitten:

Is he still in with Merlin Lez? if so i really think its been a bite thats turned into an abscess, if it is then its probably only came up very recently, some even come up and burst withing an hour so dont blame yourslef. i wouldnt worry too much just get him to the vets and gets some stuff to flush and pack it with O0 Ralf has had 3 and is fine now, good luck xxxxx

just got back, he was so well behaved at the vets. the vet and nurse love him, nearly didnt get him back! they wanted to piggynap him ;D

he definately has an absess, she tried to flush it, but she said the puss is so thick that it didnt work very well, so he is on antibiotics, and i have to take him back in a week. if the antibiotics dont help then she said we'll have it removed, but wanted to try antibiotics first

he is still in with merlin, but i think things have settled down a lot between them over the past few days, only the odd hump now and again now

Great news Lez, hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick! Glad things have settled down with Merlin too.x

i love this vets. cost me just over £10 for consultation and the baytril!

that would have cost me over £25 at my old vets!

the lady is excellent with piggies too, she seems to really have a way with them, and seems to really know about them, which is great after the hasstle of my last vet! heath loves her. he just snuggles up in her arm lol

so pleased he is ok :smitten: fingers crossed the anti bs will work O0

Hey Lez, hope everything turns out well with Heath! I just went through 2 surgeries with my guinea Ricky. Two abscess on his side. First one was huge (they grow fast). She had to operate to get all the pus out. He kept ripping the stitches open and finally the vet took the stitches out and I had to flush it daily. It healed and boom, a second one comes out. Bigger than the first. It was the size of about 3 marlbes put together. She operated again. He's still healing. I'm glad Heath does not need surgery. My vet did say that the pus can spread to form another abscess, which is why she operated and took it all out. Although he did develop another one anyway! So, was it worth the surgery for me? You did great by bringing him in so fast. I waited and they grew so big. I hope Heath heals quickly! Keep us updated! Sending wishes for a speedy recovery to Heath! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

thanks annie, i read your thread on poor ricky the other day, i hope he recovers soon, and no more absesses! :smitten:

heaths is about the size of a marble at the min, the second one is now empty so i am keeping an eye on it anyway :)

good luck with heath and the antibiotics, glad he enjoys the vets and that things have settled down with merlin. sending hugs and cuddles to you and heath from us in oz. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: you go heath!

Hope Heath is ok today, abcesses can be such a nuisance but they don't seem to bother them too much, he's probably just testing your piggie nursing capabilities ;D You know how every piggie likes to put us through our paces. ;D I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours O0

(if the healing appears slow try Intrasite gel - brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back