Forage Recipe/ Where to buy ingredients?

PigMom1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I want to make forage for my guinea pigs but I feel uneasy about ordering chamomile off amazon, so I'm looking for advice on where to find botanicals safe for pigs. I am in the US. Does anyone have a good recipe for forage? Any and all suggestions welcome!

I've bought some dried cilantro for my piggies in the bulk spices. I figure if they are safe for me, they should be safe for piggies. But I will be following this for ideas for my piggies.

I always just collected and dried my own ingredients for forage.
I went out and about with a plant identification book (I am also a university educated biologist) and picked things that I knew were safe.
But I do live in a rural area (so contaminants aren't an issue) and have access to a huge area including fields and woodlands.

Honestly if you are unsure I would say is it far better to just buy a forage online rather than take the risk.

German Chamomile is really easy to grow ... like weed easy: it will reseed all over if you let it. You could just grow your own, then you can know it's safe. Dandelions are actual weeds, and herbs can often be purchased as plants at some grocery stores or plant nurseries ... they're intended for human consumption, so they should be safe. Of course, then you'd have to dry it yourself.

If you want it all dried and packaged for you, you could try your local petco or petsmart ... just make sure to read the ingredients (they're not always great at advertising for the correct animal on their products and often carry some junk-food products mixed in with the decent ones). Alternatively, check out Sweet Meadow Farms; their products tend to be easier to find at smaller shops than the big chains, or depending on where in Massachusetts you are, you might be able to go to the actual farm - it's in Sherborn (about halfway between Worcester and Boston, near Framingham).

German Chamomile is really easy to grow ... like weed easy: it will reseed all over if you let it. You could just grow your own, then you can know it's safe. Dandelions are actual weeds, and herbs can often be purchased as plants at some grocery stores or plant nurseries ... they're intended for human consumption, so they should be safe. Of course, then you'd have to dry it yourself.

If you want it all dried and packaged for you, you could try your local petco or petsmart ... just make sure to read the ingredients (they're not always great at advertising for the correct animal on their products and often carry some junk-food products mixed in with the decent ones). Alternatively, check out Sweet Meadow Farms; their products tend to be easier to find at smaller shops than the big chains, or depending on where in Massachusetts you are, you might be able to go to the actual farm - it's in Sherborn (about halfway between Worcester and Boston, near Framingham).
I just placed my order per your suggestion! I am close enough to visit the farm. I ordered a bunch of forage ingredients and hay- buying hay here will save me almost $200 a year compared to small pet select. Thank you for this suggestion- what a thrilling find!

Back