Forage packets from Hay Box

Bluebell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I thought I'd try some of these on my lot as they don't get enough grass any more, but none of them will touch any of the different sorts, even though they happily eat such things as dandelions and nettles when fresh. they won't even eat the dandelion roots, though they love the fresh ones. Just wondered if anyone's guineas did eat them, and if so, which one do they go for?

We haven’t tried the hay box ones but Pepper and Pringle are sooo fussy when it comes to forage! They will eat dried Nettle, mint and green oats and nothing else, they revived some flower forage on a secret Santa and actively ran away from it!
They also won’t eat dried dandelions or dandelion roots either!

Mine love the botanical blend and the herbal blend.
They don’t like dandelion leaves ( unless fresh ) or roots.
They don’t seem to like any dried leaves at all.
The hay cookies are very nice too, apparently. Not that I’ve personally tried one!

I’ve been buying them from hay box (I usually get them from piggie parcels). My lot love the nettle and Plaintain. They also eat the dandelion root quite happily

Lexi and Thea will eat anything food related except for tomatoes. They haven't turned their noses up at any forage they've been given. They love it all!

Most interesting to see how all their tastes vary, I did want to know whether mine were just being awkward or whether these were not popular en masse.

I think perhaps because I try to keep any dried food to an absolute minimum, (although I'm failing badly at that this winter,) mine just don't go for anything dried out of habit. Glad they are not the only ones to refuse the dandelions and roots though, that really surprised me, I had thought they would love them! They were horrified by the little dried flowers one and threw the bowl around in disgust.

Mine don't like dried flowers, dandelion or plantain. I have dandelion and plantain in the garden and although the leaves are very small this time of year it does keep growing so they can have fresh several times a week. Their favourite is mint.

They are so funny with their tastes
When Jemimah was alive she made it very clear that bean shoots should never, ever be given under any circumstances.
She also didn’t like coriander, taught Priscilla and Phoebe to despise coriander too and then Micah arrived. They were boarding with a friend who gave them coriander and Micah , who didn’t know that he didn’t like it, taught the girls to like it too!

mine like dried dandelion,plaintain,oat leaves,most bags of dried leaves.not too keen on flowers.though i had one piggie who liked marigold flower .Dandilion route and nettles are apparently poison !

I thought I'd try some of these on my lot as they don't get enough grass any more, but none of them will touch any of the different sorts, even though they happily eat such things as dandelions and nettles when fresh. they won't even eat the dandelion roots, though they love the fresh ones. Just wondered if anyone's guineas did eat them, and if so, which one do they go for?
Mine like the dandelion roots but their fave from Haybox are the hay cookies and the coriander stalks. They don’t like the herbal mix. Soft cut Timothy hay is their staple.

Back