Forage Fun!

Rachel J

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This is perhaps a daft question. I am very careful about the % of hay, fresh food and nuggets. Where does completely natural forage fit into this? I try to buy bags with just leaves, sticks, petals - that sort of thing. Can this be unlimited or should it be included in the fresh food percentage? I have two one year old boars. They adore forage and I use it to help keep them interested and busy. It also gives me something to feed Pickle to slow him down and stop him scoffing Badger's tea! I have to hand feed as he is a food-hogger!

Any thoughts would be welcome! Also any other non-fattening treat ideas too. Pickle is boarder-line chonky!

Thanks everso!

Thank you. I must admit, I was hoping that it didn't! As I suspected! So this means that I perhaps need to hold back a little more. I don't give them unhealthy snacks and am really careful with fruit too, but I think I am perhaps overfeeding them. It's so hard not to, especially when they are so fussy and they love dried leaves. Grateful for the advice. Thanks for taking the time.

Dried forage comes with nuggets. I feed dried forage leaves instead of nuggets most days.
Some dried forages can be fed more regularly than others so it depends exactly what items you are giving.

Fresh forage would fit along with veg

That's a good idea - I can then keep it varied. They love hay and don't give that up for anything, so your idea is great too. Thanks for replying too.

My gang get forage daily without fail, or I’m told off! They have a huge mixture of different leaves, flowers, herbs and all sorts, we are on a no-pellet diet (and barely had them before) so they have more than other piggies too I suppose. Some things are much higher in calcium as Piggies&buns says so they’re restricted a little more so definitely worth checking that out. (And dried forage tends to be higher in calcium than fresh forage/veg too)
I sprinkle it over hay or around the cage, make toys stuffed with it in (very simple with pigs!), with paper bags, little boxes or my ‘piggy crackers’ (which are loo rolls stuffed with hay and forage and then wrapped in plain brown paper!) or anything to get them working a bit for it! :D🐷
Apart from for my strange pair Jasper and Cleo who do not do toys or anything they have to work at, it has to be sprinkled pretty much in front of them or it disappears and the telling off continues! 🤷‍♀️:))
Hope your boys enjoy their forage scoffing!

Last edited:
I love the loo roll idea! I am definitely going to do that! My grumpy Badger and Pickle squabble over paper bags (even if they have two!) and so something that they have to investigate and pull at, without getting in, is a great idea. Ooh! Glad I asked. I might try reducing the nuggets a little and I will check the calcium levels of any forage too.

My 20 and 21 year old 'children' moan that I didn't ever fuss over them as much! :D The power of the pig!

Thanks again for the advice.

I love the loo roll idea! I am definitely going to do that! My grumpy Badger and Pickle squabble over paper bags (even if they have two!) and so something that they have to investigate and pull at, without getting in, is a great idea. Ooh! Glad I asked. I might try reducing the nuggets a little and I will check the calcium levels of any forage too.

My 20 and 21 year old 'children' moan that I didn't ever fuss over them as much! :D The power of the pig!

Thanks again for the advice.
Aah I love their names! :love:
My other pair Luigi and Aliona are exactly the same, whatever the other ones got is always best, even if it’s blooming identical! :)) Always at least two of everything with them!
I’ve found chopping the loo roll in half lengthways helps, then you can stuff more hay in etc! It’s something i like to give them at night to keep them busy :)

Haha I’ve got pigs instead of kids so I avoid the human moaning! How could you not spoil them rotten though, piggies are the best! :D
Hope your boys have fun with their goodies! :love::love:

Mine lot live in an unheated garage so in the cold months they have some forage sprinkled with Pro-C every day as it helps to build up their winter reserves. They get half a food bowl between 2 of them. I have a mutiny on my hands if they don't get it!

Aah I love their names! :love:
My other pair Luigi and Aliona are exactly the same, whatever the other ones got is always best, even if it’s blooming identical! :)) Always at least two of everything with them!
I’ve found chopping the loo roll in half lengthways helps, then you can stuff more hay in etc! It’s something i like to give them at night to keep them busy :)

Haha I’ve got pigs instead of kids so I avoid the human moaning! How could you not spoil them rotten though, piggies are the best! :D
Hope your boys have fun with their goodies! :love::love:
It is great to talk to someone who gets the guineapig thing! It's amazing how puzzled people are as they think they're just for children. They don't know what they're missing! :love:

Mine lot live in an unheated garage so in the cold months they have some forage sprinkled with Pro-C every day as it helps to build up their winter reserves. They get half a food bowl between 2 of them. I have a mutiny on my hands if they don't get it!
I can imagine! Mutiny can be a noisy business! :yahoo:

Back