• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Foot Spur? Bumblefoot? 😔

Cooper & Chris Farley

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, lovely folks. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Tried posting a video to see if someone could give me some insight into what this lesion on my Cooper’s foot might be, but it wouldn’t upload.. It is a little piece of skin on the side of his front paw that wiggles around.. noticed it when I was trimming his nails today. He doesn’t cry or whimper when I wriggle it but I want to make sure it isn’t something I need to be concerned about. Any advice is appreciated! May take he and Chris to the vet, I did notice Chris’ front paw pad is a little red & swollen as well..😔 Neither of them whimper or cried when I handled the paws in question.. Will they typically verbalize they’re pain if the paw is touched?

Attaching some grainy azz photos (sorryyy) to give a little perspective.
Thank you, dear ones!

Attachments

• A219F39B-91CE-407E-B1A4-EA9B35AE1D6F.webp
    A219F39B-91CE-407E-B1A4-EA9B35AE1D6F.webp
    29 KB · Views: 12
  • 9E94CD4A-1A17-4323-97BE-14CF308FFA16.webp
    9E94CD4A-1A17-4323-97BE-14CF308FFA16.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 12
Hello, lovely folks. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Tried posting a video to see if someone could give me some insight into what this lesion on my Cooper’s foot might be, but it wouldn’t upload.. It is a little piece of skin on the side of his front paw that wiggles around.. noticed it when I was trimming his nails today. He doesn’t cry or whimper when I wriggle it but I want to make sure it isn’t something I need to be concerned about. Any advice is appreciated! May take he and Chris to the vet, I did notice Chris’ front paw pad is a little red & swollen as well..😔 Neither of them whimper or cried when I handled the paws in question.. Will they typically verbalize they’re pain if the paw is touched?

Attaching some grainy azz photos (sorryyy) to give a little perspective.
Thank you, dear ones!

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, your pictures are too dark to make out the problem.

Spurs are dead skin growths that grow out from the side of the foot pads. They are best left alone unless they reall impede movement. Cutting too close to live skin can serious cripple a piggy.

Bumblefoot is caused by various germs getting into the skin through tiny cracks and rips and therefore is usually found right in the cushion pads on the soles where the pressure is greatest which eventually causes scabs and open sores.

Please also keep in mind that guinea pigs don't weat or pant but get shed excessive body heat via increased blood circulation through the skin; especially the ears but also the feet, which can look rather pink or red and feel hot overall where an infection is very localised and never symmetrical on the other foot.

Here is more information with pictures. Please seek vet care if needed and do not home treat on spec; especially as we can only guess. You can easily make things worse rather than better and end up paying more in the end.
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, your pictures are too dark to make out the problem.

Spurs are dead skin growths that grow out from the side of the foot pads. They are best left alone unless they reall impede movement. Cutting too close to live skin can serious cripple a piggy.

Bumblefoot is caused by various germs getting into the skin through tiny cracks and rips and therefore is usually found right in the cushion pads on the soles where the pressure is greatest which eventually causes scabs and open sores.

Please also keep in mind that guinea pigs don't weat or pant but get shed excessive body heat via increased blood circulation through the skin; especially the ears but also the feet, which can look rather pink or red and feel hot overall where an infection is very localised and never symmetrical on the other foot.

Here is more information with pictures. Please seek vet care if needed and do not home treat on spec; especially as we can only guess. You can easily make things worse rather than better and end up paying more in the end.
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems
Very likely a foot spur. The pads didn’t feel hot to touch, but I will absolutely keep an eye on it. My babies’ health is always priority & I will never hesitate to take a vet trip! Thanks for the response.

Very likely a foot spur. The pads didn’t feel hot to touch, but I will absolutely keep an eye on it. My babies’ health is always priority & I will never hesitate to take a vet trip! Thanks for the response.

All the best.

Back