Food routine

JaimeGraceUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want to give my boys into a food routine. Do i feed them morning or evening or both? small amounts, etc?

Feed whatever way suits you and your piggies!

My routine is that I give my boys hay in the morning with half their veg portion. They then get several hay top ups throughout the day. In the evening they get more hay, the other half of their veg, some dried forage plus if it is a pellet day, them they have their pellets in the evening too (mine only have pellets a few times a week)

Feed whatever way suits you and your piggies!

My routine is that I give my boys hay in the morning with half their veg portion. They then get several hay top ups throughout the day. In the evening they get more hay, the other half of their veg, some dried forage plus if it is a pellet day, them they have their pellets in the evening too (mine only have pellets a few times a week)
i leave a small bowl full of pellets in their cage they dont always eat it all. i try and give them unlimited hay, food on a morning which doesnt last long and food on an evening

I personally give half their pellets in the morning and half at night. They get their veggies at night and hay refilled throughout the day 🙂

i leave a small bowl full of pellets in their cage they dont always eat it all. i try and give them unlimited hay, food on a morning which doesnt last long and food on an evening

I would recommend you change the pellet routine. They should not have constant access to pellets. Give them one tablespoon each, give them a little time to eat them and then remove the bowls - Not letting them have more until next day. The more hay they eat, the better long term health they will have

The veg shouldn’t last long. They should eat their small portion and then go back to eating hay.

I would recommend you change the pellet routine. They should not have constant access to pellets. Give them one tablespoon each, give them a little time to eat them and then remove the bowls - Not letting them have more until next day. The more hay they eat, the better long term health they will have

The veg shouldn’t last long. They should eat their small portion and then go back to eating hay.
you they do eat alot of hay. i need to change their pellets anyway to something better

you they do eat alot of hay. i need to change their pellets anyway to something better

In order to change pellets you need to do it slowly by mixing a small amount of new pellets with the current pellets. Over time reducing the proportion of their current pellets so they increasingly get more of the new pellets (still within the one tablespoon per pig per day recommendation)

In order to change pellets you need to do it slowly by mixing a small amount of new pellets with the current pellets. Over time reducing the proportion of their current pellets so they increasingly get more of the new pellets (still within the one tablespoon per pig per day recommendation)
you i know ive done it before with my rabbit

My routine is pellets, hay, a romaine lettuce leaf and fresh water in the morning.
Lunchtime ( most days) a handful of coriander, occasionally dill or more rarely, parsley.
Late afternoon they get an assortment of veggies which may include cucumber , pepper, chicory, celery, leaves, green beans and very occasionally a piece of carrot or apple

Back