food for young piggies?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
do baby / young guinea pigs need specific food made for their age or can they go straight on your average piggie nuggets? i’ve purchased some burgees excel mint nuggets for the arrival of my new 8 week old babies but wondering if i actually need food thats specifically designed for young piggies, i didn’t see any in the pet shops when i looked!

Normal pellets are absolutely fine. They can have a bit over one tablespoon per pig per day at that age but make sure they only have one tablespoon per pig per day from four months onwards. Pellets contain a lot of calcium which can lead to bladder problems. Keeping pellets limited and filtering their drinking water is the main way of ensuring they don’t get too much calcium

They do not need specific baby piggy pellets. Such pellets contain alfalfa which is high in calcium which isn’t needed.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Your 8 week olds will be fine to start eating adult pellets straight away. They don't need pellets designed for babies as already mentioned, they contain alfalfa which isn't needed and can cause bladder problems further down the line.

You may find the following link helpful Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Normal pellets are absolutely fine. They can have a bit over one tablespoon per pig per day at that age but make sure they only have one tablespoon per pig per day from four months onwards. Pellets contain a lot of calcium which can lead to bladder problems. Keeping pellets limited and filtering their drinking water is the main way of ensuring they don’t get too much calcium

They do not need specific baby piggy pellets. Such pellets contain alfalfa which is high in calcium which isn’t needed.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
brilliant thankyou so much!

Back