Food for Babies

mshappy89

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The girls will be 6 weeks old this week. I have been feeding them 30g of science selective grain free a day.

I am worried that is too little? Should I be offering more? Their weight gain for the first week was good.

I am thinking of going for 1/8 of a cup each. As I have a nice 1/8 measuring pot

They need only one tablespoon per pig per day and one tablespoon usually amounts to around 10g per pig per day. The more hay and less pellets they eat the better for their long term health! As babies (under four months of age) they can have slightly more than the 1 tbsp per pig per day, but you still dont want to overdo it.
If you if you give the 1/8 of a cup each, then that works out to about 2 tablespoon per pig per day. If you fed them this much, then you would need to be sure it isnt negatively impacting their hay consumption.
Pellets and unfiltered drinking water contribute most calcium to the diet (even the grain free, low calcium science selective pellets contain more calcium than the highest calcium veg) and too much calcium can contribute to the formation of bladder stones so you wouldn't want them getting too much for too long.

Last edited:
Back