Food/ Daily Intake for Piggies Question

McKeanTwins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I have been taking care of guinea pigs for little bit. When I was young I had 5 piggies my mom and sister helped me take care of. I currently got 2 boys who I have had for a about a year and 2 new boys I decided to house during Christmas. The 2 older boys I have struggle with bloating. I never had this problem and I am constantly having to help them with it. I have medicine to help bloat when it gets bad and gripe water to help when it is minimum bloating. But I have cut down on pellets and veggies. Now just giving them hay twice a day makes them have so much gas in their tummies! I am totally stumped! I am afraid of giving them to many hay, pellets, and veggies. I really don't want to under feed them but feeding them to much could have even worse effects. So I really don't know how to get this balanced. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

I would be very surprised if a just hay diet was giving them bloat. It’s hay that they need to keep their gut functioning properly and not eating enough hay can cause gas to build up.

Are you weighing them regularly to monitor hay intake (weekly as part of routine care but daily where there are health concerns).

Hay needs to be given in unlimited amounts. Veg is one cup per pig per day but if they are having issues then this is the bit that you need to look at. Pellets are just one tablespoon per pig per day.

How much and what type of veg are you giving them?
Some veggies are more likely to cause issues than others but some piggies can be set off by the less expected veggies.
What type is hay do you feed?

Have you spoken to a vet about this if it is occurring a lot?

I would be very surprised if a just hay diet was giving them bloat. It’s hay that they need to keep their gut functioning properly and not eating enough hay can cause gas to build up.

Are you weighing them regularly to monitor hay intake (weekly as part of routine care but daily where there are health concerns).

Hay needs to be given in unlimited amounts. Veg is one cup per pig per day but if they are having issues then this is the bit that you need to look at. Pellets are just one tablespoon per pig per day.

How much and what type of veg are you giving them?
Some veggies are more likely to cause issues than others but some piggies can be set off by the less expected veggies.
What type is hay do you feed?

Have you spoken to a vet about this if it is occurring a lot?
I took them to the vet and I told them what I had been giving them daily. I told him veggies and pellets and he looked at me and had no idea what pellets were and told me to stop giving them all so much "good stuff." The only good thing he gave me is medicine incase their tummies get upset. I had no idea that less intake of hay could do this so thank you so much!

And I am going to start weighing them more often to monitor. Thank you so much for the information. I feel really dumb but I would rather ask and feel dumb than not know at all how to fix this so thank you for the help.

Back