Fly killers

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
🪰 I seem to have an influx of houseflies all of a sudden. I have been researching electrocution machines yet, for some reason, I feel really guilty at the thought of acquiring one. It seems cruel somehow. I currently use sticky strips and jars of wine-vinegar & washing-up liquid.

I should think my current method = a slower fly death. Why am I hesitating over a machine to lure and zap them? What do you use to kill flies?

I’m mostly worried about them affecting my 7 year-old piggy Wonky Geraldine who has mobility issues and sometimes needs a bit of help to keep her backside clean.

🪰 I seem to have an influx of houseflies all of a sudden. I have been researching electrocution machines yet, for some reason, I feel really guilty at the thought of acquiring one. It seems cruel somehow. I currently use sticky strips and jars of wine-vinegar & washing-up liquid.

I should think my current method = a slower fly death. Why am I hesitating over a machine to lure and zap them? What do you use to kill flies?

I’m mostly worried about them affecting my 7 year-old piggy Wonky Geraldine who has mobility issues and sometimes needs a bit of help to keep her backside clean.

Hi

House flies cannot cause fly strike.
Fly Strike (with fly pictures to help identify the dangerous ones)

You seem to have got a nest of them somewhere obviously since they have hatched all together. We do use zappers and I do a deep clean of the piggy area for those situations. It usually sorts itself out quickly. Otherwise I only go for biting flies and leave the others be. Most want to get out of the house again anyway.

Hi

House flies cannot cause fly strike.
Fly Strike (with fly pictures to help identify the dangerous ones)

You seem to have got a nest of them somewhere obviously since they have hatched all together. We do use zappers and I do a deep clean of the piggy area for those situations. It usually sorts itself out quickly. Otherwise I only go for biting flies and leave the others be. Most want to get out of the house again anyway.
Thank you for your reassurance @Wiebke! Looking at the pictures, they definitely resemble house flies. They’re quite small but really annoying. I haven’t yet found the source but will keep cleaning. I’m just wondering if they can enter the house via drains? I also repotted some houseplants recently so I wonder if there were eggs in the soil.

Thank you for your reassurance @Wiebke! Looking at the pictures, they definitely resemble house flies. They’re quite small but really annoying. I haven’t yet found the source but will keep cleaning. I’m just wondering if they can enter the house via drains? I also repotted some houseplants recently so I wonder if there were eggs in the soil.

Drains are not usually how flies come in. More usually via a window.

Back