• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Floridian Piggies --- Heat Management

Prolly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all, I just moved from up north to down south. My pigs were use to the colder weather but now moving to a semi-tropical state, what are some precautions I can take so they don't overheat? I've seen info on when they DO overheat, but what can I do to just keep them cool? The house sometimes just doesn't get cool enough even with built in AC and fans. I want to make sure my pigs are as comfortable as possible. Thanks!

Hey all, I just moved from up north to down south. My pigs were use to the colder weather but now moving to a semi-tropical state, what are some precautions I can take so they don't overheat? I've seen info on when they DO overheat, but what can I do to just keep them cool? The house sometimes just doesn't get cool enough even with built in AC and fans. I want to make sure my pigs are as comfortable as possible. Thanks!

Hi and welcome

Florida is quite a challenge! Please the time to read our guide link in the first post. We have one of the most comprehensive if not the most comprehensive collection of practical tips.

It is often the combination of several smaller measures that can be surprisingly effective, like making use of the cooling effect of evaporating water on your windows as well as around the cage.

Hi and welcome

Florida is quite a challenge! Please the time to read our guide link in the first post. We have one of the most comprehensive if not the most comprehensive collection of practical tips.

It is often the combination of several smaller measures that can be surprisingly effective, like making use of the cooling effect of evaporating water on your windows as well as around the cage.
Fantastic, thanks a bunch! I'll take a look. :)

Since I live in an area that can become very hot in the summer it is important to keep my guinea pigs cool, I always make sure that the fan is on during the day for them, but since it is a waste of electricity you could also buy a marble slate or stone for them to relax and keep cool on.

I lived in Florida for almost ten years. The humidity was insane and the forecasters were always right since all it did was rain! I wish nothing but the best for you and your piggies. Florida is a beautiful place to live. 🌴

A problem I don't have to worry about in Scotland haha. When it does on the rare occasion reach the high 20s I'd put one of their snugs in the freezer then let them lie on it if need be.

Out of interest, how do the piggies react to frequent thunder and lightning that you'd get in Florida?

A problem I don't have to worry about in Scotland haha. When it does on the rare occasion reach the high 20s I'd put one of their snugs in the freezer then let them lie on it if need be.

Out of interest, how do the piggies react to frequent thunder and lightning that you'd get in Florida?
So funny, my dog is absolutely terrified. The piggies? Munchin' and crunchin' on their hay like its nobodies business. Couldn't give 2 damns lol. Also fantastic idea with the snugs!

Since I live in an area that can become very hot in the summer it is important to keep my guinea pigs cool, I always make sure that the fan is on during the day for them, but since it is a waste of electricity you could also buy a marble slate or stone for them to relax and keep cool on.
Wonderful idea! <3

Back