Floor time

jac13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok so wanting to ask about floor time I've read they need it so my questions are do they still need it my 2 sows are in a 4x2 c&c also what is the best way to do as I would be scared to let them out in big are incase they get below something and can't catch them

I use spare grids to block off anywhere they shouldn't go. Other people use play pens.

When I did floor time with Comet and Blitzen, it was always in the hallway of my flat. I boxed off the area I wanted them away from using jigsaw boxes and laid down a towel with some hay (better it than the floor) and a bowl of water and then let them run.

Boxes, grids, anything solid enough to keep them on the side you want that's safe for them to gnaw on should they be so inclined.

The goblins are in a 5x4 c&c at the moment but if I could give them floor time still then I would, this house just isn't suitable for it. Do they need it? No, but it'd be nice if I could.

We usually use spare grids for floor time, and create a playpen. Our house isn’t suitable to let anypig free roam, even for a short while.
Recently (due to most grids being in use) I have blocked off areas of our hall, put blankets, fleece pads down & used that once a week, with lots of tunnels & a hay pile.

They don’t need floor time. It’s nice for them but they don’t need it. Stimulation is about mental stimulation as well as physical space.

Piggies generally don’t like large open areas so using a playpen can help. You can then cover part of it with a sheet to make them feel more safe in an unfamiliar space

They don’t need floor time. It’s nice for them but they don’t need it. Stimulation is about mental stimulation as well as physical space.

Piggies generally don’t like large open areas so using a playpen can help. You can then cover part of it with a sheet to make them feel more safe in an unfamiliar space
Great thanks was looking at some people's floor space seems smaller than what my 4x2 c&c would be

We usually use spare grids for floor time, and create a playpen. Our house isn’t suitable to let anypig free roam, even for a short while.
Recently (due to most grids being in use) I have blocked off areas of our hall, put blankets, fleece pads down & used that once a week, with lots of tunnels & a hay pile.
Great thanks is your floor space smaller than cage

My floor space was most of the room, so yes much bigger than the cage. However they don't much like moving around a big open expanse, especially when they are young, so I had lots of tunnels and hides scattered around for them. You can see some in the background here.IMG20230808121819.webp

Great thanks was looking at some people's floor space seems smaller than what my 4x2 c&c would be

This is why mental enrichment and stimulation in the cage is just as, if not more, important.

In summer my boys run is larger than their cages. However in winter when I can’t get them out of the shed, the space they have is a bit smaller than their cages.

Before I got my dog and moved house I did use a puppy playpen with a few hides and I covered part with a blanket.
I don’t do floor time now ( in this house and with a dog) but my boys have a nice big c&c home with plenty of hides and stimulation

My 2 boys get floor time outside their C&C cage when they get their veg. Their cage is in a bedroom so they can’t wander far but actually they only ever go as far as the edge of the mats I put down - it’s a wooden floor underneath and a bit slippery for old boys. I see videos of other people’s piggies heading off on expeditions but I think mine are just not very adventurous!

Great thanks is your floor space smaller than cage
When we do floor time, in a CC set up it’s slightly bigger than boys home. It’s just a change & something different.
Doing floor time in the hall means it’s a bigger space.
As Piggies and Buns says, enrichment at home is more important. We are sporadic with when we do floor time & if the piggies are not enjoying themselves, we pop them back home within 15mins.

A photo of our visiting foster boys enjoying the hall.
IMG_0719.webp

This is why mental enrichment and stimulation in the cage is just as, if not more, important.

In summer my boys run is larger than their cages. However in winter when I can’t get them out of the shed, the space they have is a bit smaller than their cages.

When we do floor time, in a CC set up it’s slightly bigger than boys home. It’s just a change & something different.
Doing floor time in the hall means it’s a bigger space.
As Piggies and Buns says, enrichment at home is more important. We are sporadic with when we do floor time & if the piggies are not enjoying themselves, we pop them back home within 15mins.

A photo of our visiting foster boys enjoying the hall.
View attachment 243986
Great thank you

My floor space was most of the room, so yes much bigger than the cage. However they don't much like moving around a big open expanse, especially when they are young, so I had lots of tunnels and hides scattered around for them. You can see some in the background here.View attachment 243983
This is great I'd be scared mine running off not able to catch them lol be this setup

I do floor time with my piggies several times a week. Their cage has little ramps that let down, and they decide if they want to come out. (Don't force your piggies, it their decision!) Sometimes I sit in the middle of the room and then they run over to beg for treats. :love:

Keep in mind that Clover and Stella are very tame and used to me, younger/newly adopted piggies probably won't come out until they feel they are safe.

IMG_3090.jpg

Mine used to be free roaming, the cage was on the floor and open all day. But to be honest they didn't come out much and when they did it was usually to beg for something 😁IMG20240107224215.webpIMG20240118201924.webp

Back