Floor Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

maat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys well I have had my two boys for five days now and although they are living in the sitting room with us they are still very frightened and spend the majority of the time in a pigloo we made for them out of a Budweiser box:D. My question is should I get them out for some floor time or leave them until they seem less frightened of us? Our boys are approximately 7 months old and where kept outside before they came to us. any advice you guys can give me would be gratefully received x

I would give them floor time just to help get them used to it. Ensure you have two cardboard boxes to prevent any fighting.

Floor time is to give piggies exercise yet many spend it sleeping! The best thing I did was to give them a big enough cage so they do not need it as they are most comfortable in their cage.

The room is fine as long as you seal any small gaps they could get stuck in,remove any cables and wires. Include hay and places to hide.

It'll be easiest if you can separate off a safe area for them - either by using a playpen or something similar. This will make catching them a little easier, and it will also ensure that they can't chew through any cables, damage your furniture (most like to nibble!) or escape through any holes in your walls that you didn't even know you had.

If you are using a playpen, ensure that it is high enough that they can't jump over. Considering their body shape, piggies are surprisingly good jumpers.

Make sure you include plenty of hideys, as most piggies are fearful of open spaces. You may also want to have a carrier, or something that you can sheppard them into when you want to return them to their cage. As they are still a little afraid of you, they will find this method less frightening then trying to catch them using your hands.

Include lots of hay for them to nibble on too.

Hi their I've only had my pigs a week or so and their only 13 weeks old but I've been getting them out in a indoor pen daily for a hour or so, to be honest they don't do to much apart from hide in tunnel and dart for food, but getting them out daily has made them get use to being handled :) x

My three live in half my bedroom, fenced in by a puppy pen. They do a bit of running around and a LOT of snoozing in their hay filled litter trays (with hiding places).

i so want to give my boys open floor time but since I'm living rented and my boys can't control their bladders i can't afford to replace carpets etc so i have to make up a full pen and base to put them in each time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back