Flies!

Lotteluvspigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently out of nowhere I've seen like 10 flies in my house, usually there's like 1-2 a week so this is very weird. None have gotten into my room(where I keep the pigs) and I've been checking my pigs everyday just incase. But the thing is since there's at least 10 flies in my house they have to be coming from inside right? Anyways I really need help on how to get rid of them because I'm pretty sure there all the bluebottle ones(that harm pigs). Any help is much appreciated!

Recently out of nowhere I've seen like 10 flies in my house, usually there's like 1-2 a week so this is very weird. None have gotten into my room(where I keep the pigs) and I've been checking my pigs everyday just incase. But the thing is since there's at least 10 flies in my house they have to be coming from inside right? Anyways I really need help on how to get rid of them because I'm pretty sure there all the bluebottle ones(that harm pigs). Any help is much appreciated!

Hi

Either use fly paper or a fly swatting racket. I would recommend that you clean the hay area if needed. You obviously had a fly laying eggs somewhere which have now hatched. All it takes is one fly getting inside. It is however more a nuisance unless you are dealing with blue bottles.

Hi, I had the same problem recently, even posted about it here- Bald patch around grease gland The advice given to me was excellent and the links helpfull to lower my anxiety, since I am pretty sure the flies were the dangerous kind, that's why I am sharing it.

To get rid of them I got fly paper and put one in every room. Also fly screens for the windows and I put a fly screen on the door to their room. I didn't leave open their door at all when I was still seeing flies, now I just air it out for a couple minutes each day, just in case.

Not much flies stuck to the fly paper though. The majority, was killed by me. They were mostly at the windows trying to get out of the house, so I kindly let some out. I was seeing a couple of them for only a couple of days, less than a week. Just make sure you don't let new ones come in by windows or doors.

The cleaning regime was also changed. I was doing spot cleaning each day, changing trays with hay every 2-3 days and full deep clean once a week. After I saw the flies I started spot cleaning 2-4 times a day, basically almost every time I went to check on them. Changing the trays every day and deep clean every 2 days. Now that I don't see any flies I do deep cleans every 3-4 days. I was also cleaning their bums often, it's not like there was much to clean, but it kind of went hand in hand with their daily check ups. I also don't leave any of their garbage in their room. Everything goes in the bins outside straight away.

Both of my boys are still fine.
Wish you to get rid of the flies soon 🙂

Hi, I had the same problem recently, even posted about it here- Bald patch around grease gland The advice given to me was excellent and the links helpfull to lower my anxiety, since I am pretty sure the flies were the dangerous kind, that's why I am sharing it.

To get rid of them I got fly paper and put one in every room. Also fly screens for the windows and I put a fly screen on the door to their room. I didn't leave open their door at all when I was still seeing flies, now I just air it out for a couple minutes each day, just in case.

Not much flies stuck to the fly paper though. The majority, was killed by me. They were mostly at the windows trying to get out of the house, so I kindly let some out. I was seeing a couple of them for only a couple of days, less than a week. Just make sure you don't let new ones come in by windows or doors.

The cleaning regime was also changed. I was doing spot cleaning each day, changing trays with hay every 2-3 days and full deep clean once a week. After I saw the flies I started spot cleaning 2-4 times a day, basically almost every time I went to check on them. Changing the trays every day and deep clean every 2 days. Now that I don't see any flies I do deep cleans every 3-4 days. I was also cleaning their bums often, it's not like there was much to clean, but it kind of went hand in hand with their daily check ups. I also don't leave any of their garbage in their room. Everything goes in the bins outside straight away.

Both of my boys are still fine.
Wish you to get rid of the flies soon 🙂
Thank you very much!

I've been having the same problem, I've had to close the windows today because it's just getting on my nerves, I've seen a lot of people even without pets discussing lots of flies getting into the house lately. I even had one drown itself in my cup of tea earlier while I was out clearing a corner of the garden! Not sure where they're all coming from but I've certainly been getting my steps in going round the house with my fly swatter. The cat thinks I've gone mad 😅
Luckily they don't seem too interested in the piggies cages, my fruit bowl and bathroom window seem to be their favourite places at the moment 🤢 I can only assume there's been a bloom in the hot weather we've had, while I was out running the other day there was definitely a strong waft from everyone's bins!

But anyway, I've found the fly swatter to be the most effective method over the years, only downside is I keep forgetting where I've put it 🤣

Do these work well? are they easy to remove? I have a load of flies come into my Conservatory and its a right pain trying to convince them to go out the same way they came in!
Yep. They have caught about 15 big flies since I got them a couple of weeks ago. I really got them because I had tiny flies come out of the soil of two of my house plants. So the big flies were a bonus. I haven’t tried removing the stickers yet.

Thanks for everyone's help! I have some fly traps arriving tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I've found the source of the flies so hopefully it comes down to me catching them all!

As an interim measure, a fan will help. You can get electric fly repellants which are a sort of fan and help as part of your anti fly measures. Fly paper and swatting👍

As an interim measure, a fan will help. You can get electric fly repellants which are a sort of fan and help as part of your anti fly measures. Fly paper and swatting👍
Which way would i point the fan? I dont remember if i heard someone say once not to put it facing towards there cage?

Yes, on a low setting not directly blowing on the piggies. Perhaps towards the window.

I get the odd fruit fly in my conservatory from one of my pot plants. I bought a pitcher plant who loves to lure any flies in and gobble them up. It really works too!

Flies come in through the kitchen window if it's open. I open the living room window which is directly opposite the kitchen door, they fly straight to the window and very quickly fly outside. There do seem to have been a lot more blue bottles around this year we usually get a lot of flies but not blue bottles. I think the farm on the hill about a mile away has been muck spreading, there's a definite odour wafting over the city again.

Back