• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flesh wound? or Hair loss?

• Thread starter Thread starter CloMajScoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CloMajScoot

Today i saw my older girl guinea pig Magic, her fur is a rex guinea pigs fur so it is coarse but she is white, tan and black colored fur right? well when i looked at her today she had a little patch of peach fur! and i looked at it more closely and i noticed it was skin! YIKES! she appears to be fine and content but running away from my little guinea pig girl Clover , Could Clover have hurt Magic for space? or is she losing hair?

I think you should keep a close eye on it, and make sure it isn't clover. If it isn't and she keeps losing hair take her to the vets. Its could be mites could it?

i hope its not mites. i think it is clover, bcause they were fighting when i walked into the room. there is no blood around it or near its you can just see her skin , like her hair fell out in that one place or something ripped it out. Clover is about 7 months old now and is almost a teenager guinea. do you think their fighting over space?

the bald patch is like in the middle of her lower back, and the skin color is a peachy color ? thats what it appears to look like to me

Any flakes or 'dirt' on the skin? How big (coin wise) is it? If it doesn't look angry (doesn't sound it) then I'd hold off treating it and see if hair grows back, if it doesn't then somethings up.

Any flakes or 'dirt' on the skin? How big (coin wise) is it? If it doesn't look angry (doesn't sound it) then I'd hold off treating it and see if hair grows back, if it doesn't then somethings up.

well its about thumb size, like.... iunno really, but it is about your tumb size, no there isnt any dirt or flakes on the skin, none at all

Any sign of hair growing back yet? If she were mine and there was no hair I would give her a CocoNeem Melt and Manuka and Neem bath and see what happened. As you say, it could be the other pig. Feel the area for lumps too.

Could be hormonal but that would be both sides (usually) and usually in older pigs ?

Gorgeous Guineas

i felt around and there isnt any lumps at all, what does a cocoNeem melt and Manuka and Neem bath? like as in what does it do? there is no hair coming back in

If its fungal or parasitic these will help, but parasitic probs will need Ivomec too. As its only mild I would start by doing that (it may not even be that :) ) Check the link out :) in my last post.

:) I wouldn't be too woried :) Rexes are known for 'losing' hair, its usually under their bellies though ::) How old is the piggy thats lost the hair? (Magic is it? :) )

If you are worried, then take her to the vets for a checkup, just to put your mind at rest O0

Magic is about 6 years old, her birthday was in may . she is a rex teddybear and has coarse hair . so they are known to lose hair? because her hair loss is about... hm, a canadain quarter

awwww the little lady is 6, wow that's fantastic :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Did you go to the vets love? They can do a skin scrapping and see under the microscope for mites etc.. O0

no I'm planning to go tomorrow . i hope she's okay though because i love her :smitten: she's iin good health other than that little bald spot

I think she'll be ok love, just watch her carefully :)
If she's eating and drinking etc... i'd not worry just go to your vets like planned.
My boy turns 6 next Feb :smitten:
You get really attached don't you :smitten: :smitten:
Have you got a photo of her?

yes i do its the most recent one ive taken

here she is my beauty queen :) :smitten:

HPIM0832.jpg

yea XD she was a pretty big guinea pig but now it seems like she lost some weight, like she wasnt obese but she was pretty big guinea pig , lets put it this way , a lotta junk in the trunk XD but she's skinnier now, :(

Somtimes that is an age thing :-\, but if you weigh her regularly you'll find out if she's steadily loosing it or it's just a tiny bit at a time.
I weigh everyday but that's cause i've had a sick piggie, i then know his ups and down weights, and they can vary by even 20grams somedays :o :o

holy! :o i think she's fine, she's still eating her timmy hay and eating her pellets and eating carrots and veggies we give her. its just the weight she's losing is a bit noticable and the bald spot on her back. other than that she's happy and content.

If she is old or not, weight loss is teh best sign she will ever give you somethings wrong!

Get her to the vets! :)

Yes, rexoids do seem to drop hair :) Given her age I'd think its hormonal or an age thing, possibly. Lots of guineas with cysts lose weight, others go the opposite way and appear pregnant ::) A course of HCG injections might help :)

well i can garentee she's not pregnant XD :D she's in a cage with another sow :P

No she won't be pregnant unless she's been with a boar? It's just the ovarian cysts can make them look pregnant, like a bit chubby, they can work the other way and make them lose weight. What Karen is saying is get her checked out for cysts and a course of injections will get her better x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back