Fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I'm putting the pigguns on fleece, it's worth a try I've tons of the stuff. I know it requires more cleaning out but I'm prepared. Megazorb is not great for messiness in the house. It's tredding everywhere, carefresh is too expensive and hay plays up with my sinus' as I suffer with Hayfever so fleece is the cheapest option although involves more work!

How often do you people who use it change it?

Thanks!

Louise
x

Hi Louise,

Please read my thread above yours re the washing machine! LOL

I hoover off the poops every day and remove all old hay, and then bung it in the washing machine every third day.

When mine were on fleece i'd brush up the poos every day and wash them every 3 days. The problem i had with fleece was keeping it in place, the pigs would try their very hardest to get under it or bunch it up and a big fleece barely covered my C&C so i ended up forking out a LOT for loads of vetbed, enough for a change while the other was in the wash, because that has the rubber underneath and keps itself in place! But as Kaz says, watch your poor washing machine, ours gave up once too! x

Hi Emma,

Thanks, Peter would go ape if our machine broke down I've already broken one through overloading it...lol I'll give the fleece a go later, I think anything is better then the smell of megazorb in the house and I don't want to spray airfreshener around just incase it upsets the pigs and they end up sick!

Louise
x

I have considered the vetbed option but will probably wait until after Xmas as its expensive. This fleece idea sounds good, I may try the fleece option myself as I am sure the woodshavings are contributing to my eye allergy. Would you put layers of newspaper under the flleece to absorb the wee?

That's what I have done, newspaper then fleece. Cuzzy was like whats this spongey stuff.. he is fine now, his cage is very blue which is cool as he is a boy! The girls are going on green fleece but i'll have to get them some pink! :)

I expect Mr Twinkle to chew it to bits! :)

Louise
x

Aw lucky Cuzzy getting blue :) poor Ralfie had to settle for pink stripey stuff when he was on fleece ;D

Aww Emma, you'll give him a complex! :D Think I'll head over to BM later there fleece is £1.99. I'm saving a mint on bedding now so can buy them more treats! :D

Mine are back on fleece now. Had them on newspaper, hay and shredded paper for a while but sent me crazy.

Now they have a layer of newspaper, a layer of towels then a layer of fleece. I pick up the poops off the fleece once or twice a day then once a week I take it outside and shake it to get out any poops or bits of hay that have escaped from the litter boxes. Then I put it into an old duvet cover (pillow covers annoyed me lol), tie the end with a string and shove it in the washing machine..works fine for me O0

They are all on fleece now. S&T looked at me as if to say eh mum you swapped it again...lol Cuzzy is made up with his and the girls just tipped up their pellets on their fleece! Probably didn't like it because it is green and not pink! :) I've put a couple of sheets down in the hutch as well as newspaper and then fleece, hopefully this will work!

Louise
x

This fleece stuff sounds absolutely brill! But where do you get it from? Is it only for indoor cages? Mine is in the shed and I would worry that his body wasn't getting any warmth 98) I'm really getting fed up with the woodshavings and hay going everywhere - I spend so much time sweeping the floor every day and I could be having more lap time! 98)

Hi Black Jack,

All it is is fleece blankets. You can get them in Bargin Madness for £1.99 and they double up for cages and hutches. I've just spot cleaned and overall took me an hour to do 2 cages and an indoor hutch but find it cleaner although slightly more work. That's fine though!

Louise
x

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Hi Black Jack,

All it is is fleece blankets. You can get them in Bargin Madness for £1.99 and they double up for cages and hutches. I've just spot cleaned and overall took me an hour to do 2 cages and an indoor hutch but find it cleaner although slightly more work. That's fine though!

Louise
x

Sounds really good - may have to investigate! Don't have Bargain Madness in this neck of the woods :'( How do the piggies keep their little bodies warm though? 98) I'm really stressing about this bit!

You still provide Hay. I've done a seperate part of the huth for Hay in the bedroom and the play area has fleece. :)

Oh right! Think I'm just about getting it now! 98) (sorry bit slow on the uptake sometimes!) I'll deffo investigate this one.

I got a fleece blankets ages ago from Tescos to make cozies, it was approx £2.49. Last week they were selling them off for approx £1.49! I got 1 for them to cuddle and play in. I am definately getting more on the weekend and putting my babies on fleece!

I'll be having mine on profleece (vet bed), and some fleece for them to snuggle under, when I get them. my pervious to I tired fleece with but I didn't like it. but now I'm using profleece I will, has I love using it for my buns.

Mine are on pro fleece and love it as do I! Have to say I got the heads up about the washing machine blocking so I put mine in a pillowcase tied with an elastic band to wash! I have fleece in the bed area with loads of hay on top.....I do use a stiff brush to get MOST of the hay off but am not as fastidious as I could be.....hope the washing machine survives, although I do fancy a new stainless steel one- so if it gives up I'll just act all innocent to the other half.... ;D ;D ;D Lesley

How often does the fleece stuff need to be washed? Is weekly OK? Does it stink of the wee? Is Vetbed better as it takes the wee to the bottom? I need guidance here folks!

Mine have been on both. I think vetbed is better because it absorbs the wee, is much fluffier and it keeps itself in place because of the rubber on the bottom. But vetbed is expensive (profleece is cheaper but still more expensve than fleece) and vetbed is slightly more difficult to wash x

Thanks for all that info - I'll have to have a good think about it and then decide. I'm not sure how easy it is to buy Profleece or VetBed here so may just go with the fleece blankies anyhow! Thanks again O0

Yep vetbed is just too expensive for me at £16.99 a piece I couldn't afford it as yet, something to save up for though!

Just checked on pigguns and there is already a bit of a smell from the girls cage so I think every 2 days cleaning for them and 3 for the boys. Girls go back in their cage when I go out as I don't want them escaping like my boys did a couple of weeks back! >:D

Louise if you do eventually go for vetbed, get profleece its so much cheaper and comes in different colours :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back