Fleece Wicking

Kayleighxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've never owned guinea pigs before & would really love to get two baby males. Hopefully brothers=)

I've been doing so much research, built my 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft for extra room.

I've chosen fleece for my future piggies bedding.

I found out I have to "wick" the fleece first & this could take 2-4 times.

I bought 2 100% polyester fleece, hand washed in the bath tub. I added bleach and laundry detergent (with no fabric softener added) & hung them to air dry on the line.

After they were pretty much dried, I did the water test and they didnt puddle at all. The water ran straight through ( I also put a towel underneath as this will be what I'll use under the fleece )

Is it even possible to wick fleece on first try? Just wanna make sure I get everything done right. Thank you!

hello! Welcome to the forum! :)

Great to have you here. It sounds like it is wicking fine. No need to use bleach though t all, just detergent. Make sure the bleach is all rinsed out and no smell of it before you use the fleece. Some fleece wicks better than others.

Xounds like your piggies are going to have a wonderful home

Hey guys.

I've never owned guinea pigs before & would really love to get two baby males. Hopefully brothers=)

I've been doing so much research, built my 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft for extra room.

I've chosen fleece for my future piggies bedding.

I found out I have to "wick" the fleece first & this could take 2-4 times.

I bought 2 100% polyester fleece, hand washed in the bath tub. I added bleach and laundry detergent (with no fabric softener added) & hung them to air dry on the line.

After they were pretty much dried, I did the water test and they didnt puddle at all. The water ran straight through ( I also put a towel underneath as this will be what I'll use under the fleece )

Is it even possible to wick fleece on first try? Just wanna make sure I get everything done right. Thank you!
Read up on boars on the forum posts before getting your boys as it will explain a bit more on having 2 boys the same age. Can get a few problems when they reach maturity!

I use white vinegar in the softener drawer of the washing machine to remove the piggies smell from the fleeces.
I do the same when I wash pee pads and snuggle sacks and the covers of snuggle safes. It also cleans the washing machine. Remember to wash fleece liners in a horse bag so that your machine does't get blocked up with all the hay that inevitably sticks to the fleece even though a good shake has been given to it before it gets washed.

you can wash your fleece into a washing machine. Honestly I never find any hay stuck on it; the trouble is only the hair of the piggies which remain there and stick on other laundry.
As an absorbent layer, instead of a towel, you can use paper (newspaper/leaflets from supermarkets) because it is easier to remove only the wet spots and the paper sometimes gets dry during the day even without removing it. I always clean up the cage during my piggies' floor time, when I remove the fleece, I shake it on the floor (and hay, poo and grass fall down easily) and I hang it out to have some cool air. Then I change only the wet papers replacing them with new ones. Leaflets are more practical than newspapers and better than the towel (I have the towel underneath, but only for getting a thicker and more comfortable floor for the piggies).
There are good fleeces which work better than the others; I have a piece of fleece which is not suitable as it becomes wet (I think there is some cotton fibres through the fleece).
About the choice of two boars, it might be a trouble if you have a bad luck. They sometimes start fighting... especially when they are teenagers and if you need to devide them, they cannot live alone and need another piggie mate... and you find yourself with 4 piggies at home in two separate cages...
You might choose a boar (neutered) with a sow... and you might add another sow in the future. Or you might choose two sows and you might add a neutered boar or another sow in the future. But there is not a rule of course. Keep in mind that two boars need a lot of room, more than two sows.
Anyway, you will be a perfect owner! and welcome here!:luv:

you can wash your fleece into a washing machine. Honestly I never find any hay stuck on it; the trouble is only the hair of the piggies which remain there and stick on other laundry.
As an absorbent layer, instead of a towel, you can use paper (newspaper/leaflets from supermarkets) because it is easier to remove only the wet spots and the paper sometimes gets dry during the day even without removing it. I always clean up the cage during my piggies' floor time, when I remove the fleece, I shake it on the floor (and hay, poo and grass fall down easily) and I hang it out to have some cool air. Then I change only the wet papers replacing them with new ones. Leaflets are more practical than newspapers and better than the towel (I have the towel underneath, but only for getting a thicker and more comfortable floor for the piggies).
There are good fleeces which work better than the others; I have a piece of fleece which is not suitable as it becomes wet (I think there is some cotton fibres through the fleece).
About the choice of two boars, it might be a trouble if you have a bad luck. They sometimes start fighting... especially when they are teenagers and if you need to devide them, they cannot live alone and need another piggie mate... and you find yourself with 4 piggies at home in two separate cages...
You might choose a boar (neutered) with a sow... and you might add another sow in the future. Or you might choose two sows and you might add a neutered boar or another sow in the future. But there is not a rule of course. Keep in mind that two boars need a lot of room, more than two sows.
Anyway, you will be a perfect owner! and welcome here!:luv:

Thank you so much for your reply! Very useful information. Ill bear everything in mind! Loving this site. <3

Back