Fleece Washing :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry1980

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everybody :-) I'm new to the forum... ive had my girls for almost 2 years now and have just changed over to ziggy
fleece cage liners. Fleece is so much better than wood shaving! But.. the hair is a nightmare! I bought a horsewear bag but the fleece didnt spin very well so took days to dry! and is still covered in hair? Any tips please ! ? Thankyou
Kerry x

Lol I just asked this myself. You can lint roll or use a rubber brush to get some off but I just shake mine off outside as hard as I can before washing and isn't wash in a bag because I found it leaves more hay. Also after shaking out the fleece I wash it twice and that helps some. Guess we're all doomed to hairy fleece though :whistle:

Lol I just asked this myself. You can lint roll or use a rubber brush to get some off but I just shake mine off outside as hard as I can before washing and isn't wash in a bag because I found it leaves more hay. Also after shaking out the fleece I wash it twice and that helps some. Guess we're all doomed to hairy fleece though :whistle:

Lol.... i will try a lint roller... i really dont want to wreck my machine and also it causes my clothes to be covered in hair. :/
Thanks for replying :)

I give mine a shake outdoors, wash it in an old duvet cover, shake it again after washing and then while it is damp I run my hands over it to pull off any damp hairs. Never gets all the hair off but does get most of it off each time.

I always wash on its own... and put the machine on a rinse before washing clothess... ive used a horsewear wash bag but i will try an old duvet cover to see if it spins. Thankyou ! :-)

:D I find that the best thing for getting hairs off the fleece is the tumble dryer! It either blows or sucks them off, I'm not sure which! But the filter is always full of fluff after an hour's cycle. I do use a rubber brush to brush the fleece when on the floor. Youcan buy them from Lakeland Ltd for about a fiver.

I brush off then shake out before putting in the wash, and use a petcare washing bag. Don't tend to have any issue with spin, sometimes a little soap suds left on door though.

I was going to buy a rubber brush but now I just wait overnight for the fleece to dry and then hoover it with one of the attachment brushes, which takes off almost everything.

i shake mine outside like a MAD woman for as long as my arms will hold out lol !! Hairs are the bane of my life lol ! I also have a rubber brush which does help.... lots and lots of shaking and then i wash in a horse wash bag - never find any hairs on my normal clothes so that works at keeping the hairs in the bag.... there is never any hay on the fleece when it goes into the washer tho,,,

I did use a lint roller but found it too expensive. Now just use damp washing up gloves to rub the hair off. I always wash the fleece on it's own and wipe out the machine after. S

I had this problem with a number of fleece-like liners. In the end I just bought simple fleece dog blankets from Poundland - these dry in no time! I also wash them in a special bag meant for washing horse equipment - sometimes they spin off in the machine, but if the load is unbalanced, they wont. Sometimes it can just be a case of balancing the load in the machine - take it out and put it back in again, or you can put other objects in. I did once buy some really thick fleece-like material that wouldn't spin in the dryer, and took days to air dry! These were a nightmare! So I chucked them out and bought simple thin fleece instead. These were much better. Even if soaking, they air dry relatively quickly. Unfortunately I'm not sure what 'Ziggy fleece' is like.

I'm having the same problem, but with hay. I always shake their liners outside and brush them off as best I can. Sometimes I even sit and pick as much hay off as I can. Even after all of this, they are coming out covered in hay.

Anoying isnt it! Not too much of a problem with hay as theirs is in the litter box.. i hoover my fleece now before washing... seems to have done the trick... but probably going to wreck my hoover so might get a cheapy one just for that.

Anoying isnt it! Not too much of a problem with hay as theirs is in the litter box..

So is mine, but my piggies tip them whenever I put them in! Plus two of mine are curly coats and drag it everywhere. The current situation next to my litter box, which I cleaned this morning:
1461842132693-1359287142.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back