Fleece Or Auboise For Pet Sitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swissgreys

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have recently switched to a 5 x 2 C&C and are using fleece (which I am loving so far).

At the end of July we will be away for 10 days, and have a pet sitter coming to look after the pigs.
She will visit twice a day - one quick visit to top up hay, pellets and water (10 minutes), and another longer visit to clean, handle the pigs, etc (up to 30 minutes).

I am thinking it might be easiest if I switch the C&C over to Auboise bedding during this time.
We used Auboise in our previous hutch, so I know it works well and the pigs don't have a problem with it.
I personally am finding the fleece much easier to use, but am worried this is too much work for a pet sitter. Plus I am starting to realise that guinea pigs on fleece is quite an unusual concept here.

I replace the small pads in the high traffic areas (under houses and by the hay trays) daily, and the entire liner every 4 - 5 days, which means she would have to do a load of washing every 3 days.

But would spot cleaning Auboise with a full change once during the 10 day period be easier?
What do others do when they have someone come in to look after their guinea pigs.

I want to get it sorted from the start, as we have already booked her for 2 weeks in October and 10 days at Christmas (assuming everything goes well this time), so I am hoping this is the start of a long term relationship with someone experienced and reliable to care for our guinea pigs when we travel (which we do on a regular basis).

A friend comes and looks after Lily and George when we're away. So far it's just been long weekends, but I still switch to disposable bedding (in my case, recycled paper pellets) for the period. Especially in this warmer weather, I find I am spot cleaning more than twice a day and doing a full change every 2 days with the fleece. And it is smelling a bit, which I don't mind, but bit embarrasing! The piggies don't seem to mind different bedding, in fact the change provokes lots of chatter! I guess for me it is a bit different as I am not paying someone, it was rather a kind favour.

When my girls are inside I use Auboise in the C&C (I ise it in their shed too) and it's really easy to spot clean but I do find I'm
doing it all the time!

I've put megazorb on the upper level for my neighbour who is looking after my pigs for next couple of weeks. I think it'll be less smelly. I've kept fleece downstairs but with all the hay and food upstairs I'm hoping the megazorb will absorb a good amount of pee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back