Fleece liners

LaurenS

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m wanting to make some of my own fleece pads and cage liners but first wanted to know what everyone found to be the better material. I’m trying to decide between buying Zorb for the inner absorbant layer or just using a mattress protector, I thought Zorb would be better but haven’t used either in the past so just looking to find out from those who have tried both methods. I’ll have a waterproof layer on the base aswell as the fleece on top.

It's really down to personal preference. I don't like Zorb, I found it heavy and it took longer to dry than cotton wadding. I know other members love it though. If you use a mattress protector you need to use a good quality one, cheap ones go thin very quickly with the amount of washing they get. I don't like waterproof liners, the urine doesn't soak through and if the middle layer gets saturated it will stay soggy on top. I've found it's better to use fleece on the bottom and top with an absorbent layer sandwiched between. You can use newspaper or puppy pads on the base of the cage in case urine soaks through the liner (happens very rarely to mine). Maybe make some pee pads with a mixture of materials to try them out first. The other thing I've found is not to use very cheap fleece blankets for the fleece, these don't stand up to a lot of washing. A good anti pill fleece off the roll is better quality, I get mine from ebay.

I used zorb for small pee pads and that worked well. I also made liners with a waterproof mattress protector sandwiched between two pieces of fleece. That served me well. I do agree re having fleece on the top and bottom.

I also used bath mats on top, changing them as needed. This helped the fleece last a couple of days longer.

It's really down to personal preference. I don't like Zorb, I found it heavy and it took longer to dry than cotton wadding. I know other members love it though. If you use a mattress protector you need to use a good quality one, cheap ones go thin very quickly with the amount of washing they get. I don't like waterproof liners, the urine doesn't soak through and if the middle layer gets saturated it will stay soggy on top. I've found it's better to use fleece on the bottom and top with an absorbent layer sandwiched between. You can use newspaper or puppy pads on the base of the cage in case urine soaks through the liner (happens very rarely to mine). Maybe make some pee pads with a mixture of materials to try them out first. The other thing I've found is not to use very cheap fleece blankets for the fleece, these don't stand up to a lot of washing. A good anti pill fleece off the roll is better quality, I get mine from ebay.
That’s good to know thank you. I’ve been looking for a decent quality mattress protector but they all seem so thin, I will keep looking though 😁

Back