Fleece liner question

Kaiaa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am planning on making my own fleece liners but wondered if those of you who have used fleece liners could guide me.

Before I decided to make my own liners, I was looking at them on a few different sites that sold them and most of them were “double absorbent liner”. I had originally planned to make mine a single absorbent layer so that I could make more sets, but am now questioning if I should just go ahead and make them double absorbent or if it really even matters at all! I was only concerned they’d be too thick for the wash! I plan on daily spot cleaning and then a full clean once or twice a week depending on how my future piggies need.

For reference, I had planned on making my liners as such:

Fleece
Single U-Haul padding
Fleece

So, in your experience/opinion, do fleece liners HAVE to be double absorbent?

Thank you all so much!

*edited to add, I understand a lot of it is piggy dependent on what really works but I was just hoping hear some opinions so I can make a decision.

I don’t know what U Haul padding is. The best liner (between the two fleece layers) I have found is Zorb (fleece, 1 Zorb layer, fleece) - it’s absorbent and very lightweight but it is pricey. However a single layer is enough. I’ve also used a waterproof mattress protector as the middle layer - not ones with the plastic backing though as they don’t absorb - I’ve made liners from these with both single thickness in the middle layer and double. I prefer double as it is more absorbent but you’re right - it does make the liner a bit more bulky when it comes to washing. But if U Haul padding is quite thick then I’d go single layer. I do have a lot of pee pads though so I change these more frequently than my liners.

Thank you! I am from US, I apologize, U-Haul padding is just a “brand name” set of moving blankets. What a clever idea to go with mattress protectors, I didn’t even think of that!

I use a single layer of quilted mattress cover in my liners and double in the pee pads I use in favourite sitting spots and houses/beds. I use normal mattress covers (medium quality/price, the cheap ones wash flat very quickly) not waterproof. I've never liked waterproof as the urine can't soak through to the bottom layer of fleece.

I make them myself with a layer of fleece, a layer of molton and a layer of molton with a waterproof layer. I buy the fabrics per meter via the internet. This is a lot cheaper in the Netherlands than using mattress covers.

I'd never heard of Molton so I've just done a quick internet search, it doesn't look like it's available in the UK.

I think it's the same as the fabric for a mattress protector. It is a thick and soft (usually white) fabric that is very water-absorbent.
In the Netherlands a mattress protector is made of molton. Maybe the fabric has a different name in the UK/US? I think the English name for molton is flannel?

Mattress protector is made if wadding, you can buy wadding by the meter some people here use it for liners. I can only buy wadding on line and have found it more expensive than a medium quality mattress protector from a local shop. I also like the quilted cotton top layer on the mattress protector as it helps hold the wadding together in the wash. I think lots of people here use Zorb. I didn't like it when I tried it in a few pee pads. I found it heavy and it took a long time to dry. It also shrank a lot more than the fleece which pulled the pee pads out of shape and they went lumpy. It's really down to personal preference. It's a good idea to make a few pee pads with a small piece of each inner and see what works for you.
A lot of people here from the US use Uhaul blankets, they are cheap but they are not available in the UK.
Flannel is a thickish material, but not thick enough for cage liners.

For those not familiar with U-Haul, U-Haul is a moving company, so their pads are a type of furniture pad. They are essentially a denim batt made from recycled textile material. The U-Haul website says they're about 1/8" thick.
I haven't used them, as I just use double sided fleece (no middle layer) over towels.

Hmm no wadding here in mattress protectors. I've seen that only in mattress protectors for children from the Ikea.

Zorb is not available in the Netherlands. I think it is related to certain substances that are not permitted in the EU.

I see that flannel is not the same as molton. Molton is similar, but much heavier. Too bad this isn't available in the UK. I find it ideal fabric and works very well in liners.

I don't understand the videos that say you should use mattress protectors. These are very expensive here in the Netherlands, even from cheap stores. Then I still spend 30 euros for 1 liner. Maybe it is a lot cheaper in other country's. That's why I started buying molton by the meter.

I have also seen furniture blankets in web shops. Fleece - furniture blankets - Fleece. I have a few pads of this, they work fine too.

Back