fleece for outdoor hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've had the boys for week in this hutch and they're thriving. Only problem is it's too hard to brush out the hemp beddings (4ft x 4ft with a complex layout - inner sleeping area and balconies on 4 sides). I tried fleece and vetbed and they seem a lot easier to keep clean as I just pull them out and shake out the poops. Are there any reasons as to why they're not used as normal beddings for outdoor hutches?
On another note, my boys seem to be fine with cold weather cus I found them sleeping on the balconies instead of their cosy bedroom a couple of times at midnight and it was about 5 degrees outside. Is this normal?

2012-05-17_19-41-52_366.jpg

i use vetbed in my outdoor hutches and i agree - it is much easier. as for the sleeping on the balcony, could you shut them in the indoor sleeping area at night just to be on the safe side.

The only problem with fleece would come if you left it out in winter, any wee still held in the fleece may freeze.

I cant see any reason not to do it in nice weather though.

i use vetbed in my outdoor hutches and i agree - it is much easier. as for the sleeping on the balcony, could you shut them in the indoor sleeping area at night just to be on the safe side.
Can't unless I make a door?

The only problem with fleece would come if you left it out in winter, any wee still held in the fleece may freeze.

I cant see any reason not to do it in nice weather though.
I see. I'll keep them on fleece then. I'll take them inside anyway during the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back