Fleece cage liners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floydie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive got the fleece and a shower curtain for underneath, do i need to put anything in the middle? I will be sewing the fleece double.

You will need an absorbant layer in the middle, ie fleece or matress protector otherwise they will just be sitting in wee. The fleece wicks away the wee so the top is dry, but there needs to be something to wick it too, does that make sense?

Fleece is made from plastic so it allows water to pass through easy there is no benefit to having two layers of fleece, * will need a cotton topped mattress topper or towels or newspaper or puppy pads underneath. Connie and I both make our own cageliners (fleece sewn to mattress topper) I sell them too www.guineapigcomforts.weebly.com

Sorry! It should have said towel or matress protector

mallethead

Oops

Also, 4piggiepigs are much more professional than mine, mine still need something below the matress protector. :)

So towels should do fine then? I was looking at wadding but if i can use towels i will do :).

Fleece is made from plastic so it allows water to pass through easy there is no benefit to having two layers of fleece, * will need a cotton topped mattress topper or towels or newspaper or puppy pads underneath. Connie and I both make our own cageliners (fleece sewn to mattress topper) I sell them too www.guineapigcomforts.weebly.co
Do the cage liners wash? Its just I'd be worried they'd be too big for the machine. Do you till put a lower of fleece on top of the liners?

There is a layer of fleece on top of the cage liner. :) *its one layer of fleece, with one layer of matress protector sewn to the back*

Mine are only about 2x4 grids, but that fits in my machine along with a 2x1 cageliner, a hamock, hidey house, teddy toy, and a towel for the ramp and a towel and fleece thing for the hidey house. However i do have a supersized machine due to family size, and being partial to a feather duvet. :)

Hopefully 4piggiepigs can give you more info. :)

Yes, towels will do. :) However i found towels fairly smelly, an alterative is a very cheap matress protector, (mine was £8 for a double in primark and that did two cageliners) This smells much less in my opinion. :)

I'll give towels a go, the liners are to go in hutches during spring/summer (I'm sick of finding bits of sludgy sawdust all around the garden) so if it wiffs abit it wont really matter as much :).

Do the cage liners wash? Its just I'd be worried they'd be too big for the machine. Do you till put a lower of fleece on top of the liners?[/QUOTE

The liners are a complete bedding for guinea pigs, there is a layer of fleece and a layer of topper you don't need anything else, the fleece wicks urine away from the top, the mattress topper draws it in and spreads it out through the airy wadding allowing it to dry, the toppers also have a water resistant backing which prevents urine leacking to the correx/cage tray (it is only water resistant not waterproof meaning if you tipped a jug of water it would probably go throught but my liners are dry 99.9% of the time)

They can easily be machine washed tho all hay/food should be removed by brushing and it helps if you wash it in a duvetcover. a 2x4 cage linerfolds up to the size of a pillow case its just thicker so they dont take up much room, with liners you can change a cage in about ten mins which is why i love them i also like them because they can be done in a variety of patterns/colours

Sorry more questions......how often do they need changing? At the moment I use puppy pads and 4 layers of fleece. Two blankets folded and by day 5 some bits are quite damp. As the puppy pads don't retain a huge amount of water so looking for a better bedding solution.

it depends on how big your cage is and how many pigs really, i have 8 sows in a 2 level 2x4 with a 2x1 kitchen and mine last a week tho to begin with maybe only 3 days as you need to wash them a few times to get full benefit,

you only need one layer of fleece, i don't think having any more layers will help,

The liners work by spreading the urine through the air pickets inside the topper helping it to eventually dry out and preventing smells which occur when bedding stays damp.

I have heard boars smell more but i don't know as i only have sow's, but i even use liners for my house rabbit and he seems to like them:(|)

some cageliner pics:(|)

utf-8BcGhvdG8uSlBH.jpg

before
utf-8BYmVmb3JlLmpwZw.jpg

after
utf-8BYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYWFhYS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BZ2VtbWEgYnV0dGVyZmx5LmpwZw.jpg

Lorraine (4piggiepigs) could you please email me
on [email protected] as I'm
very interested in buying one of your liners. My homemade cage isn't complete yet but will be identical to one made by 'milou' page 11 of the member gallery, c&c/homemade cages. The one sitting on the ikea malm drawers.

The measurements are 140cm x 45cm I would love sides but not sure how I could attach them to a cage like this? Would the liner be ok without sides?
Looking for a blue polka dot one with matching tunnel.

Thankyou.

Ps I have emailed you via your site however the dimensions aredifferent, please ignore those and take
these dimensions.

Thanks again

Lorraine (4piggiepigs) could you please email me
on [email protected] as I'm
very interested in buying one of your liners. My homemade cage isn't complete yet but will be identical to one made by 'milou' page 11 of the member gallery, c&c/homemade cages. The one sitting on the ikea malm drawers.

The measurements are 140cm x 45cm I would love sides but not sure how I could attach them to a cage like this? Would the liner be ok without sides?
Looking for a blue polka dot one with matching tunnel.

Thankyou.

Ps I have emailed you via your site however the dimensions aredifferent, please ignore those and take
these dimensions.

Thanks again

In my opinion they work better with sides as no poos can get under, i have made hutch liners with three low sides (around three inches high)so could leave one side open? liner for that size cage would be £27

you can chooe any fleece from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Fleece-/4...M&_ipg=&_ssn=tiaknight&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

Thankyou! That sounds perfect! As soon as
i am finished I will send you the exact measurements!

Will have a look at the fleece just now.

Thanks

oooOOOooo they look brilliant. *hunts for measuring tape*. Id need two 4x2 liners for currently two seperate boars hopefulyy becoming two married couplesx)

oooOOOooo they look brilliant. *hunts for measuring tape*. Id need two 4x2 liners for currently two seperate boars hopefulyy becoming two married couplesx)

thank you i love them :)

2x4 liners are £30 each

Hi

I have a cage liner made by Lorraine (4piggypigs) and I have made one myself.

I love them! I have two boars who unfortunately are pongy boys :)) They have a hayloft which is lined with newspaper and then I put a cat litter tray with megazorb in there underneath their hayrack. This gets changed every day and they do tend to do the majority of their pees and poos in here - hurrah!

I brush the liner every day to collect poo, stray bits of hay and bedding and the liner lasts a whole week which is fantastic.

I just pick the liner out and give it a good shake in the bin and then brush off as much hair as possible before popping it in the wash (a damp rubber glove rubbed over it gets 90% of the hair off). They are long haired so there is always a ton of hair on the liner but it cleans really easily.

I prewash it in the machine and then put it on a 60c wash (NO fabric softner). They dry incredibly quickly and then once a week I run a really hot wash at 95c with a cup of soda crystals in the machine to get it clean and stops and musty smells. Dont overfill the machine otherwise it wont wash properly.

Highly recommend them.

Claire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back