Fleece cage liners

Mclayton

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi after finding a piece of wood shavings stuck in Squeaks private parts, I'm going to change over to fleece cage liners, or pee pads. Not sure what they are really called. I can't find the right size for my cage, so could I use 2, or cut a big one to size? If you can trim them, & finally, I need to buy online, so any recommendations please.

Often it’s best to get two to cover a whole cage. For example for a 5x2 c&c cage you wouldnt want a liner of that size as the washing machine wouldn’t cope, so you’d get a 2x2 and a 3x2 and use them both in the cage at the same time. (So you’d obviously need multiple of them so you’ve got enough to change every few days when one is in the wash).
You won’t want to cut a pre-made cage liner to size as all the stitching will end up being cut off and the three layers would fall apart.

Pee pads are the same three layers but usually much smaller (something like 6 or 9 inches by 6 or 9 inches inches) and are used at the same time as a cage liner. They lay on top of the cage liner so you can replace them daily and not have to change the whole cage liner. They are used under hides and high traffic areas.

The alternative is to use a single fleece blanket which would probably cover the whole cage. If it is too big then you can just tuck it underneath. In that case you need to put in a separate absorbent layer. Something like putting puppy pads would be put down in the cage base and then laying a single layer fleece blanket on top.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories

Often it’s best to get two to cover a whole cage. For example for a 5x2 c&c cage you wouldnt want a liner of that size as the washing machine wouldn’t cope, so you’d get a 2x2 and a 3x2 and use them both in the cage at the same time. (So you’d obviously need multiple of them so you’ve got enough to change every few days when one is in the wash).
You won’t want to cut a pre-made cage liner to size as all the stitching will end up being cut off and the three layers would fall apart.

Pee pads are the same three layers but usually much smaller (something like 6 or 9 inches by 6 or 9 inches inches) and are used at the same time as a cage liner. They lay on top of the cage liner so you can replace them daily and not have to change the whole cage liner. They are used under hides and high traffic areas.

The alternative is to use a single fleece blanket which would probably cover the whole cage. If it is too big then you can just tuck it underneath. In that case you need to put in a separate absorbent layer. Something like putting puppy pads would be put down in the cage base and then laying a single layer fleece blanket on top.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Members recommended UK and US sites for fleece cage liners and accessories
I don't have a c & c cage. Its a 120cm cage. Plastic base, wire top. Do you think the wood shavings getting stuck, maybe the cause of his painful wees? I ask this,, as during his 2nd infection, he never ever squeaked when peeing

OI don't have a c & c cage. Its a 120cm cage. Plastic base, wire top. Do you think the wood shavings getting stuck, maybe the cause of his painful wees? I ask this,, as during his 2nd infection, he never ever squeaked when peeing

Yes the c&c comment was simply as an example.

You could get them custom made to fit a 120 cage. Given it is a smaller cage, then you might be ok with using one liner at a time - it’s going to come down to whether your washing machine can cope.
In a cage of that size, it would probably need changing very frequently so using additional pee pads on top of the liner may be beneficial so you can try to get a whole week out of one liner.

I’m afraid we can’t know that. A one off incident of shavings getting into his penis may well have been uncomfortable at that time but I’m not sure whether it would cause repeated infections.
The only way to know would be for the vet to carry out checks on his penis and see if there has been any continuing damage caused to it.

Yes the c&c comment was simply as an example.

You could get them custom made to fit a 120 cage. Given it is a smaller cage, then you might be ok with using one liner at a time - it’s going to come down to whether your washing machine can cope.
In a cage of that size, it would probably need changing very frequently so using additional pee pads on top of the liner may be beneficial so you can try to get a whole week out of one liner.

I’m afraid we can’t know that. A one off incident of shavings getting into his penis may well have been uncomfortable at that time but I’m not sure whether it would cause repeated infections.
The only way to know would be for the vet to carry out checks on his penis and see if there has been any continuing damage caused to it.
Are the cage liners waterproof? I've seen some similar size to my cage, or am I best doing what you say. Use one or 2 a week, eith puppy pads on top? I clean my cage daily

Are the cage liners waterproof? I've seen some similar size to my cage, or am I best doing what you say. Use one or 2 a week, eith puppy pads on top? I clean my cage daily

So some cage liners do have a waterproof bottom layer but the problem with them is that they can smell very quickly and generally aren’t recommended.
The best ones are fleece at the bottom, absorbent layer in the middle, then fleece on top. They are absolutely fine to just be put into your cage. The urine should not go beyond the middle absorbent layer.

You don’t put puppy pads on top (puppy pads are very different things). You use smaller pee pads (also made of fleece) on top do a fleece cage liner. They can buy you extra time out of your cage liner.

You won’t want to be changing a while cage liner out daily. It’ll need to be swept off daily to get rid of poops.
A liner can last anywhere from 3-7 days but in a small cage like a 120 then it is more likely to be the shorter time period.

If you can get one cage liner to fit the whole cage then that’s fine. You’d want to buy what 2 or 3 of them so you can have one in the cage and one in the wash.

So some cage liners do have a waterproof bottom layer but the problem with them is that they can smell very quickly and generally aren’t recommended.
The best ones are fleece at the bottom, absorbent layer in the middle, then fleece on top. They are absolutely fine to just be put into your cage. The urine should not go beyond the middle absorbent layer.

You don’t put puppy pads on top (puppy pads are very different things). You use smaller pee pads (also made of fleece) on top do a fleece cage liner. They can buy you extra time out of your cage liner.

You won’t want to be changing a while cage liner out daily. It’ll need to be swept off daily to get rid of poops.
A liner can last anywhere from 3-7 days but in a small cage like a 120 then it is more likely to be the shorter time period.

If you can get one cage liner to fit the whole cage then that’s fine. You’d want to buy what 2 or 3 of them so you can have one in the cage and one in the wash.
Where can I get these cage liners then with the 3 layers? Please

Where can I get these cage liners then with the 3 layers? Please

I added the link to the member recommended sites above.
Amazon is the other place you can try but make sure you read the information on them -
As I say you don’t really want waterproof backed ones

I went over to fleece liners after picking shavings out of my boars penises a few times. They do love to rub their scent glands along the floor! I second not getting waterproof backed liners. I make my own liners so can't advise where to buy them but I know there are some highly recommended ones in the thread linked above.

I went over to fleece liners after picking shavings out of my boars penises a few times. They do love to rub their scent glands along the floor! I second not getting waterproof backed liners. I make my own liners so can't advise where to buy them but I know there are some highly recommended ones in the thread linked above.
Is this what I need to buy?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410-184031_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20230410-184031_Chrome.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 8
If you look in the link of members recommendations there are several people there that make them. You want a padded wadding or zorb layer in the middle.

The company piggies&buns has linked is who I was trying to think of, she has ready made 120cm liners on her site.

Hi after finding a piece of wood shavings stuck in Squeaks private parts, I'm going to change over to fleece cage liners, or pee pads. Not sure what they are really called. I can't find the right size for my cage, so could I use 2, or cut a big one to size? If you can trim them, & finally, I need to buy online, so any recommendations please.
I've got a 5x2 c&c and I got mine made on Etsy, a 3x2 and a 2x2 (2sets) they're really well made and have a lip around so they come up the base sides a little.

Back