Fleece Bedding For Outdoor Hutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovepigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I am new here!
I am after some advise on using fleece for an outdoor hutch. I have read lots on using it in the living space, but my question is do I use any other bedding for there bedroom too?
I will have hay racks and hay trays for them to roll about in. It's more the bedroom area I'm asking for.
I want them to be warm enough!

Thanks for the speedy reply!
The hutch is in a sheltered part of my garden. I have a cover for it already and lots of bubble wrap to put on the outside of the hutch to insulate , just wondered if they will want more bedding for there bedroom other than just the fleece.
They have a snuggle bed in there. Looks a bit bear!

Thanks for that. I haven't got them yet I am setting up the hutch now, I like to be organised. And like to research the best ways of housing them. I am set on fleece I think, lots of good feedback from others that use it.

I'll be getting two sows. I have also been told that if I'm getting babies to wait until the spring, not sure how true that is.

I would not put babies out in the winter. If you get them now I would have inside

Fleece is good,but in winter when temperature remains low,and hutches are outdoors eg not in a shed,the fleece got cold a nd remained damp.its a high maintence bedding and must sweep poops up from the fleece in all weathers.vet bed is very good for sleeping area.fleece i found is very good in summer,as weather better,and fleece did not get cold and damp when hutch is outdoors.with cover.Hope you find the right choice of bedding for you.:)

Thanks for you in put Eileen. What do you use in the winter for yours?

The more I read the more confused I'm getting lol

I vet bed in sleeping compartment and snuggle oo,cozy with flap at back to put heated heat pad in and aubiose or megasorb bedding in horse disposable bedding throughout rest of hutch,lots of newspaper underneath that bedding.and lots and lots of hay.fleece liners in the summer.got a scratch and newton hutch cover.the fleece cosy i got from cosy cavies,had them 3 years and still going strong.there is a thread on overview of bedding.xx

This was quite a while ago but when my guinea pigs lived outside, they had fleece everywhere but for there bedroom area I used to put some newspaper then some bedding(I used back2nature but there is other good beddings!) I then filled it with hay. Then every night I would fill it right to the top with hay then add my snuggle pad at the bottom of the hay which they could lie on but it also kept the hay and there bedroom area warm and cosy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back