Fleece around cage, will it block out light?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
With it getting colder, I want to place a fleece blanket around my cage just leaving the front uncovered to help stop draughts. My question is, will doing this block out too much light? I’d hate to make them poorly whilst having good intentions

I don’t believe it should be a problem.

Where our boys used to have their home we had fleece round 3 sides of the cage, but they were right next to the window.
Now they are more in the center of the room, I put fleece round all 4 sides and a blanket over 2/3rds of the top at night. During the day I remove the blanket over the top and 2 long sides of their home. They seem happy with this arrangement, and I feel it helps stop a few draughts.

I agree with AidaB, It won't be an issue to cover the sides. I used to have fleece over the sides, back and top during winter when I had an enclosure with a top to it.

What I would suggest is that you use a light coloured fleece. You can get white, cream or a light yellow and it would provide protection from draughts but will still let light in. Dark coloured fleece will definitely make it dark in their enclosure.

You are a caring guineamama and I'm sure your piggies will appreciate what you do for them.

Back