• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flea treatment

• Thread starter Thread starter Terry boys
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry boys

I was wondering what the best way to go about treating the Guinea pigs for all the normal things like worms and Fleas. I took the GP to the vets to register them. They told me that they couldnt give them anything for the first 16 weeks.

I was just wondering what the best thing to do is. These are my first GP so any advice would be grateful.

Terry-Ann x

i use beapher drops, they are like the spot on u get for cats and dogs spot them on the back of piggys neck

Amy.x.

Hi Amy,

Gps do not get ticks and worms are extremely rare(especially in pigs kept indoors).They can though get mites and fungal infections.

The symptoms of mites are-

excess scratching
scabs or sores on the back or rump
dandruff

the symptoms of fungus are-

sometimes scratching,
the hair looks greasy
there will be patches of thick white scurf
the hair will come out in clumps with white scurf attached to the roots

The treatment for mites is Ivermectin from the vet and shampoos and melts from

WWW.gorgeousguineas.com

they also have excellent products that will get rid of fungus.

This website has a very good description of how to differentiate between mites and fungal.

Piggies can actually be treated for mites after 3 weeks of age.

When i took them to the vets they told me that there was a new treatment that has came out but they can't give it to them til they are 16 wks. Would this be safe to try? Or would it be better to stick to what we know.

Terry-ann x

Maryh, it was not me who was asking it was terry-ann i was merely suggesting a treatment that u use to keep them at bay as gilbert has had an attack of mange mite and i now use beapher drops as a precautionary measure

Amy.x.

Hi

They never told me the name of it. I will phone the vets tomorrow and ask as i am not sure what to do?

gillypig said:
Maryh, it was not me who was asking it was terry-ann i was merely suggesting a treatment that u use to keep them at bay as gilbert has had an attack of mange mite and i now use beapher drops as a precautionary measure

Amy.x.

The Beaphar drops are an underdose for larger pigs, making them pretty useless.

I use Zeno 450 ,which is the one my vet uses.I actually get my supply from the vet as I get discount.If you do not get discount,the Zeno is available from the internet at £19..50 plus £3 postage.The full vet price is £28. a packet which only contains 6 pipettes.

daftscotslass said:
The Beaphar drops are an underdose for larger pigs, making them pretty useless.

But work very successfully with average size pigs and are very useful as a precautionary measure.

piglover said:
But work very successfully with average size pigs and are very useful as a precautionary measure.

Unless you get a syringe and measure out the liquid, dosing it exactly, the dosing information on the back is completely wrong. Averaged sized pigs weigh around 1kg and this is the weight that 2 pipettes become useless at.

thanks to everyone for the advice

it was very nice of u all.

Terry-Ann x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back