• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Flash bloat scare- happy end :)

LunaticPoodle

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi y'all, sorry to bomb you with questions lately, just wanted to check if anyone had a similar thing happen to a piggy.
So, lately I've been out picking grass and foraging easy plants for the piggies (adjusting their diet after one developed a f*ckload of bladder stones) and they have loved the change. I thought I was being cautious enough giving them grass after winter, but... A few minutes after finishing his bunch, Surma lays out a very bad looking soft poop, then hunches, starts crying and straining. Looked like he was "retching" too. I was sitting right next to him so it all happened in the space of a few minutes. Scared the life out of me. I picked him up and he was suddenly super bloated, and crying 😱
Rushed him to the bathroom and gave him 4 drops of gas relief for babies.
I had him on my chest for a while, and he was looking miserable. Then all at once he started pooping like a machine gun, I'm saying like 15 poops in a row.
Clearly something caused some kind of blockage, and it luckily removed itself rather quickly, a half hour max for the entire ordeal. He was completely normal after that and still is. What in the world? The only different plant that was in the mix was yarrow, only a few leaves though.

I don’t have any experience of this but I’m glad he recovered so quickly.

Back