First winter with outdoor piggies

MandM36

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, we have had our guinea pigs (2 boars) since July in a 6ft chartwell outdoor hutch so this is our first winter. They have the thermal hutch cover and waterproof cover with an extra blanket on at the moment. I have been putting plenty of hay in for them to keep warm in but they just flatten it to sit on. We have 2 snuggle safes for when the weather gets extremely cold. At what temperature will I need to start using these please? Also, what temperature variance is ok for them, we have a run in our conservatory which gets very cold. Are we OK to bring them in still if the temperature change isn't much? Any other advice is much appreciated.

Flattening the hay is fine they are obviously happy to do it. I stuff their hides full of hay so even if they flatten everywhere else, they still have the hide to sit in.

Piggies prefer to be kept above 15 degrees, so you need to add extra measures when night times are less than 15 degrees - that can range from just pulling the plastic front hutch cover over, to extra blankets under the hutch cover, and snugglesafes as necessary.

If the conservatory temperature and outside temperature are similar (no more than about 5 degrees difference I’d say), then it’s fine unless and until the change is more than about 5-8 degrees then I’d stop bringing them in

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I do put hay in their hides aswell so I know they have somewhere warm to go.
They sit like 2 Kings on top of their flattened hay so it must be comfortable for them.
I always make sure the conservatory is no more than 2 degrees different to their hutch temperature so that should be fine.
This weekend I will be insulating the hutch some more to try and get the temperature higher for them as its been dripping very cold at night.
I have been putting an extra cover over the bedroom door to stop any drafts.
Thanks again for your reply

Back