First Vets Trip - Scared To Pick Them Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LozzyBee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I apologise in advance as I imagine this has been asked a zillion times.

We brought our rescue piggies home on Saturday, I've had one attempt at picking them up (yesterday) and it took me the best part of an hour . They wouldn't be herded in to a tube or a snuggle and bolted every which was they could. The bigger of the two relaxed when I held him to my chest for all of about 5 seconds, the smaller just did not stop struggling.

Their nails are overgrown and I am taking them to the vets tomorrow to have them clipped. Basically...I just want it to be as stress free for them as possible and I don't know how to go about it. I don't want to spend an hour feeling like a beast chasing them around the cage, but I don't know what else to do?

I know the answers - I've looked at so many guides on how to pick them up, I think I just need some reassurance. I just feel bad for them :(

Kind of along the same subject - is lap time essential for them or is it more for us? I just feel so so sooooo bad and kind of feel if they're happy in their cage (which they are - they seem to have got over being scared quite quickly and have been having a casual wander around while I've been standing ironing all morning!), then is it worth stressing them out for lap time. I can't imagine a point when I'd even be able to get them on to my lap to be honest

Sorry! This is so long!

Thank you

:D Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like your two new piggies have not had much human contact. Unfortunately, human handling is for their own good and not just our pleasure. Regular handling gets them used to being, well- handled, which makes it less stressful for them (and us) when it comes to things like having injections or even just nails cut. Are their nails VERY overgrown? If they are not too long, I would just concentrate on making friends through the cage bars, before trying to get them out for cuddles.
Last resort; if you have a couple of spare C and C grids, use these to herd them into a corner before you try to pick them up. Good luck!:tu::tu::tu:

It sounds like your two new piggies have not had much human contact. Unfortunately, human handling is for their own good and not just our pleasure. Regular handling gets them used to being, well- handled, which makes it less stressful for them (and us) when it comes to things like having injections or even just nails cut. Are their nails VERY overgrown? If they are not too long, I would just concentrate on making friends through the cage bars, before trying to get them out for cuddles.
Last resort; if you have a couple of spare C and C grids, use these to herd them into a corner before you try to pick them up. Good luck!:tu::tu::tu:

Barnaby's are fairly overgrown to the point that hi

Mine still get a bit narky when I go to pick them up but we have a routine now.. I remove their hideys then they go upstairs to the hidey - usually a cardboard box.. Then I tip this to block the exit and pick one up... I talk constantly so they know it is me,,, it does get a bit easier with practice.. They won't like being chased around for ages, that will stress them out...

Have you tried throwing a towel over them? This works for me.

DOH! Sorry! Fat fingers lol!

Basically, Barnaby's are quite overgrown. His 'toes' don't sit straight as his claws are off in different directions if that makes any sense? But besides that, Barnaby in particular is doing a fair bit of scratching so I've asked for them to be checked for mites too.

Gosh I'm rubbish at this so far I haven't used a forum in forever! I'll get the hang of it!

Thank you for the towel tip, and the 'cornering' tip. I know, they don't like being chased, that's why I feel so bad about it. I'd really rather leave them be to be honest, but got to get them to the vets :(

one of mine was so scared due to her past when i took her on from rescue, and she screamed so much you would think i was trying to kill her, but she has settled right down now and loves cuddles. let them settle in a bit and keep trying :)

Thanks for that Lawz - I do like hearing 'success stories'!

I'm hopeful that I'll have one of my own one day.

don't worry,... you will soon get the hang of it.. good luck xx

Most pigs who aren't used to being handled will freak out and make a run for it. They're prey animals, the feeling of being caught is scary for them. That said, I personally do feel strongly that lap time is essential for them if you want them to become comfortable with handling. They may not love the idea at first, but as they are held more and nothing happens to them, they will get more confidence and it won't be as scary for them. I always hold new/nervous pigs in my lap on a blanket (so they can burrow in or at least cover their faces) and give them food so they associate being held with a treat.

If it's any consolation, my 1-year-old pig used to shriek like a banshee being picked up when she was a baby, and she now is the kind of pig who will stretch out on your lap and take a nap, so it just takes time.

one of mine was so scared due to her past when i took her on from rescue, and she screamed so much you would think i was trying to kill her, but she has settled right down now and loves cuddles. let them settle in a bit and keep trying :)
You have a shrieker too? Hadley used to do that as a baby. She is actually quite a lap pig now, but she will still shriek if we take her away from something that she is doing (if you try to pick her up when she's eating, she will scream bloody murder about it!)

sorry @Freela just seen this.

Yes Beau used to squeek blue murder...so much so that dad came rushing out asking if all was ok.
It took me months of scooping her up in fleece cozy and having lap time, and now she allows me to hold her without cozy and she snuggles into my chest (literally) and whats better is she's the first to front of hutch for pellets or veggies now.
as with them being pray animals they don't allow me to catch them easily, but once i do they're all perfectly fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back