First Time Owner Of Guinea Pigs Is There Anything That I Need To Know?

Chloegkenny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am getting my first Guinea Pigs they are brothers and Swiss breed. I’ve never owned Guinea Pigs before only ever had mice or dogs. I would like some tips and advice on how to tame my Guinea Pigs and what type of accommodation would be the best for them, I will be having them indoors.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum
:wel:

A good place to start is here:

Wannabe, New Owners & Childrens' Pets Guides

And if you have any specific questions I am sure you will receive lots of answers.
It would also help if you update your profile to let us know roughly where you are located, so any advice we offer can be tailored to your location.

Hi and welcome to our friendly forum! There are lots of useful guides for wannabe and new Piggy owners at the top of the page. I can't link them in at the mo as I on my phone. Have a read of those and any questions just ask away! We are here to help and we all love piggies! No question is too silly or stupid to ask. We won't judge you in any way! So if there is a question you think you ought to know but don't just ask it. If you don't know then you need to find out.

Hope you have a lot of fun with your piggies!

Hello and Welcome to the Forum
:wel:

A good place to start is here:

Wannabe, New Owners & Childrens' Pets Guides

And if you have any specific questions I am sure you will receive lots of answers.
It would also help if you update your profile to let us know roughly where you are located, so any advice we offer can be tailored to your location.
Thank you for making me aware of my profile! I have now updated it! :D

Hi and welcome to our friendly forum! There are lots of useful guides for wannabe and new Piggy owners at the top of the page. I can't link them in at the mo as I on my phone. Have a read of those and any questions just ask away! We are here to help and we all love piggies! No question is too silly or stupid to ask. We won't judge you in any way! So if there is a question you think you ought to know but don't just ask it. If you don't know then you need to find out.

Hope you have a lot of fun with your piggies!
Hi, I am worried about my cage for my Guineas like now they’re only babies so I think the cage I have now will be fine it’s 100cm by 52cm but I also have a play pen too what they will be in most of the day when I’m in the house (which I’m always in the house)! I’m really looking forward to picking them up on Friday, I just hope that they love me as much as I already love them! I have already bought so much for them such as a snuggle fleece bed, chew toys, herbal sticks, igloo, tunnels and toys with bells on them. As they grow bigger do you think I will need a bigger cage for them, if so what size?

Thank you! :D

Hello, yes, as they grow up they will need a bigger cage. 140cm x 60 is the recomended min for two boys, but the bigger you can go the better!
Having lots of time in the play pen in the meantime will help though :-)

We all also love to see pigtures ! Swiss piggies are so cute!

i have pictures of them right now but don’t want to post them as they aren’t my pictures, but I will be sure to take plenty of pictures when I bring them home on Friday! They are adorable little ginger piggies :D ❤️❤️

Of course, I meant when they’re settled but got a bit over excited! And ginger too; they just get better and better!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the cage you have is too small even for young piggies. The problem with boars is that if they aren't given enough space it can cause big fall outs. RSPCA guidelines suggest 120cm cage for two piggies though, especially with boars, it's recommended to go as big as you can and you will definitely see the benefit to your pigs.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the cage you have is too small even for young piggies. The problem with boars is that if they aren't given enough space it can cause big fall outs. RSPCA guidelines suggest 120cm cage for two piggies though, especially with boars, it's recommended to go as big as you can and you will definitely see the benefit to your pigs.
My cage is also a doubled up one so it has a top and a bottom floor I don’t know if that makes a difference but I will deffo invest in a bigger cage they will mainly be out of the cage when I’m
In the house the cage is just for them to sleep in mainly! But thank you for letting me know

My cage is also a doubled up one so it has a top and a bottom floor I don’t know if that makes a difference but I will deffo invest in a bigger cage they will mainly be out of the cage when I’m
In the house the cage is just for them to sleep in mainly! But thank you for letting me know

That's good, at least you have the option to give them a bigger run :) we do have a guide on cage sizes here Cage Size Guide my first cage for my first two piggies was a 100cm and it caused injuries as they couldn't get away from each other enough (both females but one particularly grumpy). I joined the forum and ended up with a huge c&c cage until they moved outdoors. One thing I will warn you about is that they are addictive creatures. I made the mistake of having females where you can always add "just one more" it didn't take long to upgrade from 2 to 4 :))

That's good, at least you have the option to give them a bigger run :) we do have a guide on cage sizes here Cage Size Guide my first cage for my first two piggies was a 100cm and it caused injuries as they couldn't get away from each other enough (both females but one particularly grumpy). I joined the forum and ended up with a huge c&c cage until they moved outdoors. One thing I will warn you about is that they are addictive creatures. I made the mistake of having females where you can always add "just one more" it didn't take long to upgrade from 2 to 4 :))
I’ve already been thinking about getting more and I haven’t even got my first two yet :D hahaha, I’ve been watching videos on YouTube of Guinea Pigs and people have different methods of taking care of them but I guess I will find my own unique routine as I get to know my piggies more! But a bigger cage is something I definitely need to look into for the future :D

I am getting my first Guinea Pigs they are brothers and Swiss breed. I’ve never owned Guinea Pigs before only ever had mice or dogs. I would like some tips and advice on how to tame my Guinea Pigs and what type of accommodation would be the best for them, I will be having them indoors.

Hi and welcome

@Swissgreys has given you the link to our Wannabe and New Owners guide collection. The guides cover all the areas from housing/bedding, settling in/picking up/making friends, understanding behaviour, care, diet, learning what is normal and what not, recommended rescue and vet links etc. that new owners have the most questions about as well as some information that many do not necessarily think about when they start out, but that is important in the longer run. You should find them very helpful as we have made them as detailed and step-and-step by as we can.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your time here, have a read through the guides but please just ask any questions you have also, we are move than happy as you can see from above to advise.

Definitely go for a bigger cage than 100cm, babies grow fast and I cant emphasize how important space is to make piggies happy

This one is on offer and great
Skyline Maxi XXL Small Pet Cage | Free P&P £29+ at zooplus!

Have a look at this thread also
Getting Guinea Pigs? Items You'll Need To Buy?

Welcome to the forum
Lee

Back