First Time Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie1990

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

This has probably been covered a million times before but... how would you advice going about picking babies up for the first time?

I wanted to leave them alone for a few days (which I have) but, since being brought home on Sunday they have been in a temporary cage. I've got a C&C cage/fleece liners etc coming over the next day or two which, once built, i'll need to transfer the piggies into as the one they're in at the mo is too small for them.

I know they have been handled by the breeder, but I wanted to introduce myself to them slowly and let them learn to trust me. However, they currently hide away in a wooden hut (below) whenever they can sense me or my partner moving around in the room. To get them out of the cage i'm going to have to lift the roof of the hut and grab them - which will make them feel unsafe in there. I have tried tempting them out of the hut with veg but they're not having any of it as yet.

Any advice appreciated. Ta

hut.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did with each of my boys when I first got them was to remove everything out of the cage, then place a conveyance in there & gently usher them into it & then pick that up. Have even resorted to gently pushing their backsides with a feather duster. Takes a while but eventually you do train them to get into it from wherever they are. I use the same cuddle cup all the time & only use it for this so they associate it for the right thing. Others have used tubes, tunnels, pet carriers, etc.

Even after 3 years though, one or the other occasionally acts up & I have to use the feather duster when I'[m trying to get them out of their cage. But they do jump right in when I say "who wants to go home" because they know they're going back to their cage. They believe "there;s no place like home" lol!

We use this technique in the forum video guide below, we still use it with our piggies now.

Hi, they are absolutely gorgeous piggies ! As they are indoor pigs I would take all the hideys out for now, they will soon get used to you and will sleep in the open too. When I had my two, I used to spend ages talking to them and offering them tidbits of food, they will soon start to get used to you. Some piggies are scittish to catch and the ideas above are great for catching them without panick them too much. They are soooo sweet :)

What I did with each of my boys when I first got them was to remove everything out of the cage, then place a conveyance in there & gently usher them into it & then pick that up. Have even resorted to gently pushing their backsides with a feather duster. Takes a while but eventually you do train them to get into it from wherever they are. I use the same cuddle cup all the time & only use it for this so they associate it for the right thing. Others have used tubes, tunnels, pet carriers, etc.

Even after 3 years though, one or the other occasionally acts up & I have to use the feather duster when I'[m trying to get them out of their cage. But they do jump right in when I say "who wants to go home" because they know they're going back to their cage. They believe "there;s no place like home" lol!
Think I'll be get me a feather duster :nod:

Guinea pigs don't generally like to be actually picked up, it's instinct to run away! Once picked up they are usually ok. I always think it's better to be quick and firm, but gentle when you pick them up. I think it just stresses them more if you are chasing them round for ages, so be firm!

I've only had Eddie and Boris a short while but what I used was a empty (of course:D) 48 biscuit weetabix box. They would run straight in to it. I would then gently tip it out on to my lap and handle them from there. This is with one piggy at a time. I would take the opportunity to handle them by putting them back in their hutch without using the box. I'm no expert but it seems a good idea to hold them close to your body as you carry them, it seems to calm them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back