First Time Foraging

Pohtaytur

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Honestly, when I look at my backyard I thought I was going to have a lot of luck with foraging since it was essentially a jungle back there. Unfortunately, all I really could confirm would be good to get was some yellow avens, lemon balm and a lot of perennial sowthistle. I saw some others that were a maybe, like some crownvetch and spotted dead nettles, but I wasn't fully sure so I let them be. It was cool though, I never really paid attention to the weeds in my yard so I never really knew what was back there!

There were some other plants I found like selfheal, columbine, milkweed, boston ivy, speedwell, asian copperleaf, fringed willowherb, buckthorn, celadine, feverfew, stringy stonecrop, motherwort, and st. john's wort. I didn't pick these since I couldn't confirm for sure that my pigs could have them.

Currently leaving what I have so far in the sun to let them dry out so I can have some in the winter for the pigs. Hopefully they like it, I've already discovered that Henry doesn't like coriander, so I'm hoping that she'll take to forages. I've given them red currant leaves so far and they went nuts for it!

Attachments

• 20220707_121640.webp
    20220707_121640.webp
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
@teddymouse is the Forage Queen of the Forum. I've tagged her in for you. She's been having a few health issues so hasn't been on the Forum much. I hope she's feeling a bit better and will see this thread.

Back