First time bonding - help soothe my anxieties please?

purplepiggies5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,

I had two lovely rescue boars who were bonded from birth, but unfortunately just before their 3rd birthday we lost one of them to cancer. My remaining piggy didn't really seem overly phased, he was a bit subdued for about a week and lost a little bit of weight but has now gained it back (and more), probably due to my guilt feeding him extra veggies when he was alone. But I am out of the house a lot and I really wanted him to not be on his own.

I came across an 8 month old boar who needed rehoming through pets at home after he'd been bonded with another piggy to be adopted (I think it's awful that they are considered second rate when they're "too old to be sold"), but his cage mate had needed surgery and unfortunately didn't survive the anaesthetic. At this point my heart is absolutely going out to this lil guy, and I held him in the store and he immediately starting clinging to me and licking me and I was sold.

This is my first time bonding guineas, and I have found so much conflicting information on how to do it. From sticking them in neutral territory one morning and letting them fight it out and as long as they're good at the end of the day they go home together, to the approach I've taken (which was recommended by my vets) and scent swapping and introducing them for short periods in neutral territory and building this up.

Yesterday we took the leap, after managing whole afternoon/evenings together in the garden (they are inside guineas, summer has been a blessing for this mixing process), I thoroughly cleaned the indoor cage and they both moved in together with all their tunnels and hides from their shared space.

In the garden they were getting on okay, the younger one does a lot of the rumbling and swaying and jumping on the older one but the older one nips back and he leaves him alone. They eat next to each other and yesterday ended up laying down and napping in a tunnel together. I took this as the sign they were ready.

I just need some advice or reassurance really, since being inside there is a lot of rumbling and swaying and mounting from the younger one, sometimes following the older guy around the cage to mount him again. To my knowledge there is no spraying or urine, some teeth chattering but nothing more than what I have heard from my existing guy on his own. Every so often my older guy snaps back and there's a bit of scuffle, some zoomies from the younger one and popcorning on both parts. They get caught up in what looks like fighting but there is no lunging or fur standing on end or showing teeth which are all things I've been told to look for, almost since reflexive from my older guy and the little one doesn't like being put in his place so nips back and so on. There's a lot of noise and chirping and longer wheeks like the kind of noise they sometimes make when they are weeing or pooping (I hope that's a normal experience, both of mine have done it before), is this stress? There are a few times where it is making me really nervous and I'm worried about leaving them alone.

Outside of these little spats, they settle down and will lay down in the cage, I found them both in a no ended weetabix box earlier smushsed next to each other. They have two bowls for veggies and will happily munch through their dinner, and eat from the same hay wheel or piles of hay in their tunnels.

Should I just leave them to crack on with it? Does this sound normal? Is there anything of huge concern there? I need to leave them alone tomorrow for about 7.5 hours and I am really worried I'll come back to a blood bath!

My current train of thought is that if they were really going to go at each other they probably would've done so by now, it's been about 19 hours in the cage together.
If I just leave them to it, how long can I expect them to sort it out by? What can I do to help them settle into their new life together?

Thanks in advance!

Someone will be along with advice soon but I think we need to see pictures......😁
Isn't it lovely when y have a pig who is a licker❤️

I’m sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately your vet didn’t give you correct advice about the way to bond. You don’t do short introductions, particularly not with boars, as doing that stops the process every single time you separate them. It goes totally against everything they need when bonding and sorting a hierarchy and means they need to start all over again each and every time. Any separation after the initial meeting can hamper and sometimes ruin the bonding process. Scent swapping is also not recommended as it can be seen as another piggy invading their space. They then meet the piggy with that smell and can take an instant dislike to the piggy that has (in their eyes) been in their space.
Boars are an all or nothing one time bonding event. Put them on neutral territory one time on one day and it either works there and then or it doesn’t.

Luckily it sounds as if your two have accepted each other so that is great.
It will now take them two weeks to fully settle the hierarchy and you are going to see a continuation of dominance during that time.
Rumbling, chasing, mounting etc are all normal but any rolling around fight at all then it is immediately over.

The guides below explain further

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I’m sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately your vet didn’t give you correct advice about the way to bond. You don’t do short introductions, particularly not with boars, as doing that stops the process every single time you separate them. It goes totally against everything they need when bonding and sorting a hierarchy and means they need to start all over again each and every time. Any separation after the initial meeting can hamper and sometimes ruin the bonding process. Scent swapping is also not recommended as it can be seen as another piggy invading their space. They then meet the piggy with that smell and can take an instant dislike to the piggy that has (in their eyes) been in their space.
Boars are an all or nothing one time bonding event. Put them on neutral territory one time on one day and it either works there and then or it doesn’t.

Luckily it sounds as if your two have accepted each other so that is great.
It will now take them two weeks to fully settle the hierarchy and you are going to see a continuation of dominance during that time.
Rumbling, chasing, mounting etc are all normal but any rolling around fight at all then it is immediately over.

The guides below explain further

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

That is really interesting! Thank you so much! I had no idea that the process was different with boars, and so many places seemed to give the advice of using playdates. Glad I didn't long it out any more than I did! Thank you!

They seem to have settled down and are happily sleeping next to one another, so I am hoping I am just being super nervous about the situation! It's just when the younger one pipes up every now and then it gets a bit heated!
Is this what you are saying will settle down over the next couple of weeks? If they have accepted each other does this mean that the next couple of weeks are sensitive in terms of make or break? Or is it likely that they have accepted each other but just need to settle into their roles?

That is really interesting! Thank you so much! I had no idea that the process was different with boars, and so many places seemed to give the advice of using playdates. Glad I didn't long it out any more than I did! Thank you!

They seem to have settled down and are happily sleeping next to one another, so I am hoping I am just being super nervous about the situation! It's just when the younger one pipes up every now and then it gets a bit heated!
Is this what you are saying will settle down over the next couple of weeks? If they have accepted each other does this mean that the next couple of weeks are sensitive in terms of make or break? Or is it likely that they have accepted each other but just need to settle into their roles?

It’s not just boars - repeated separation during bonding should not be done for either sex. It’s that sows can be a bit more forgiving if separations during bonding are needed where fear aggression is in play. And that boars are definitely not ones to separate during bonding - the bonding either works or it doesn’t on that one time.

What you may be seeing when play dates are referred to at rescue centres are not play dates as such - it’s speed dating. They are putting two piggies together and seeing if they are compatible. If they are then you take the two piggies home and put them back on neutral territory and finish the bonding on the same day and then put them in the same cage that evening. A one time event completed on one day.
It’s not put them together one day for a short time, separate, then put them together the next day for a short time then separate again. It’s those types of play dates which cannot be done.

Acceptance is the first stage of bonding and happens usually within the first 30 minutes of meeting, they then go into the dominance stage. They are left in neutral territory for several hours when this stage starts but it continues after they’ve moved into the cage and lasts the next two weeks. (This is why you cannot separate them at all because they will then simply never get for the next stage of bonding). This is where they sort out the hierarchy.
Once they are past acceptance (and the first few hours of bonding) usually they are ok from then on but there is not a guarantee. We do see the odd bonding fail right at the end of the two weeks if they fail to make their hierarchy work.

It’s not just boars - repeated separation during bonding should not be done for either sex. It’s that sows can be a bit more forgiving if separations during bonding are needed where fear aggression is in play. And that boars are definitely not ones to separate during bonding - the bonding either works or it doesn’t on that one time.

What you may be seeing when play dates are referred to at rescue centres are not play dates as such - it’s speed dating. They are putting two piggies together and seeing if they are compatible. If they are then you take the two piggies home and put them back on neutral territory and finish the bonding on the same day and then put them in the same cage that evening. A one time event completed on one day.
It’s not put them together one day for a short time, separate, then put them together the next day for a short time then separate again. It’s those types of play dates which cannot be done.

Acceptance is the first stage of bonding and happens usually within the first 30 minutes of meeting, they then go into the dominance stage. They are left in neutral territory for several hours when this stage starts but it continues after they’ve moved into the cage and lasts the next two weeks. (This is why you cannot separate them at all because they will then simply never get for the next stage of bonding). This is where they sort out the hierarchy.
Once they are past acceptance (and the first few hours of bonding) usually they are ok from then on but there is not a guarantee. We do see the odd bonding fail right at the end of the two weeks if they fail to make their hierarchy work.

This is so helpful, thank you so much! In terms of putting them into the garden, do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on if this is a good idea or if I should keep them in their space now until the bonding period is over? I'd like them to go outside but I'd worry it is taking a step back into neutral territory? Or is that not the case?

They've been laying down and sleeping near each other on and off all afternoon. Been a bit heated a few times when the lil guy has pushed it a bit too far but they seem to just settle back down shortly after. Hopefully it's my own anxiety and me jumping to conclusions that every small thing is a bad sign!

I keep hearing little happy chirps and see a lot of popcorning so I'm going to stay hopeful and say it's going to be a success! 🤞

This is so helpful, thank you so much! In terms of putting them into the garden, do you (or anyone) have any thoughts on if this is a good idea or if I should keep them in their space now until the bonding period is over? I'd like them to go outside but I'd worry it is taking a step back into neutral territory? Or is that not the case?

They've been laying down and sleeping near each other on and off all afternoon. Been a bit heated a few times when the lil guy has pushed it a bit too far but they seem to just settle back down shortly after. Hopefully it's my own anxiety and me jumping to conclusions that every small thing is a bad sign!

I keep hearing little happy chirps and see a lot of popcorning so I'm going to stay hopeful and say it's going to be a success! 🤞

Personally I’d keep them in the cage while they are newly together and still settling.
I recently bonded two of my boars and didn’t move them to their run for the first 10 days after bonding day. Once I was sure they were fully ok together i put them in their run but that I made sure to use hides from the cage which are marked with both their scents and to take hay from the cage into the run. As you are moving their scent from one place to another, it can help them still see the space as theirs.
Piggies reestablish their relationship in each new environment so changing too much too soon may not help them to settle down.
It’s this reestablishing in each new environment why we recommend only cleaning half the cage at a time. Even a cage clean can, in some pairs, set off a new round of dominance.

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

Back