First time bonding help please!

jowee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I'm in the process of bonding my new 2 month old female (Bobo) with a 6 month old female (Ponpon). It seems they have successfully established a hierarchy with Ponpon as the dominant one, but Bobo seems to be squealing. I know at times she may be being dramatic as she sometimes squeals even when Ponpon just gets close to her, but when Ponpon is either sniffing her bottom or nipping it (not sure which one, I can't tell) she freaks out and it almost sounds like she's getting mauled :(. It isn't quite as bad as the first day now though where there was constant chasing and Bobo freaking out, but it still happens occasionally.

Despite this, Ponpon usually never sleeps in the hidey and usually sleeps under a canopy - however, since introducing the two, 90% of the time Ponpon will sleep with Bobo in the hidey which I take as a good sign?

So in a nutshell, I'm concerned about their bonding given the squealing, but the fact that they sleep together makes me question whether I should be concerned or not. It has only been a couple of days since introducing them into the cage together. Would really appreciate if any experienced piggie owners out there could provide some insight on this. Thank you!

Squealing from the submissive piggy is very normal. its called submission squealing and is just bobo telling ponpon that she knows ponpon is in charge. It sounds dramatic but it’s nothing to worry about.

it will take two weeks before they have fully established their hierarchy

This is our bondIng guide which explains everything Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi and welcome

For the follow on of our bonding guide in the post above, you may find these guide links here very helpful in learning to understand your piggies:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

All the links are part of our very useful how-to tips and practical information collection to help new owners to settle in their their piggies, make friends with them, learn what is normal and not, understand behaviours and interaction and get started right with diet, housing and care for a longer and healthier life.
Here is the link, which you may want to bookmark and use; especially as your time zone differs quite a bit from our UK based forum: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back