• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

First Owner of a Guinea Pig

Author

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey I am Gabby. I have a guinea pig name Author. He is somewhere between 9-10 weeks old. I got him 2 weeks ago. He is very first guinea pig. Today I notice he was not hopping and running around in his home like he normally does. He has been laying down mostly today very time check on him. Can anyone help me? I don’t know if his feet are swollen.

Attachments

• BB57DA37-550A-48EF-9A72-3FD4E1242869.webp
    BB57DA37-550A-48EF-9A72-3FD4E1242869.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
  • E1262F38-F91B-4922-98D3-0E30E9155E59.webp
    E1262F38-F91B-4922-98D3-0E30E9155E59.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 16
Aww what a cutie, welcome to the piggie owner club, he's gorgeous! His feet look perfectly normal to me so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Does he have another male piggie for company? If he's alone he might just be feeling a bit lonely and bored, piggies are social creatures so should be kept in same sex pairs.

If you are worried it would be worth taking him for a quick check up at the vet, especially since you've just got him and are a new owner, you can get more info and any issues can be properly diagnosed and treated, it'll give you peace of mind.

Guinea pigs are social, you should probably get another Guinea pig or he might get sad, if not that he might be growing so he might need to sleep more just that particular day, is he acting normal all the other days?

Also, just in case, since you are new to guinea pigs, if you haven’t done your research or you have a question there is info on how to take care of guinea pigs in this forum. And his feet are not swollen those are how guinea pig feet are. If you are really concerned take him to the vet.

Is he sneezing or coughing, does he have a runny nose, or crusty eyes this are all symptoms of a respiratory infection wich can develop into pneumonia and kill you piggy quick, if he has any of these other symptoms take him to the vet. Otherwise just monitor him and if he does this again you should make a vet apt.

I agree with @Dilly's Piggies.
His feet look ok from from the picture.
As piggies are highly social and he is very young, then he requires a same sex friend to live with. Piggies, particularly youngsters, are desperate for companionship and need to always be with another piggy. If he is alone then he doesn’t have anyone to talk to or play with and this can result in depression.
Its always a good idea to get a new piggy vet checked. So I would pop him along for a check up to ease your mInd.

I agree with @Dilly's Piggies.
His feet look ok from from the picture.
As piggies are highly social and he is very young, then he requires a same sex friend to live with. Piggies, particularly youngsters, are desperate for companionship and need to always be with another piggy. If he is alone then he doesn’t have anyone to talk to or play with and this can result in depression.
Its always a good idea to get a new piggy vet checked. So I would pop him along for a check up to ease your mInd.
Agreed

Back