First night

Newtothis09

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,it is our pigs first night with us tonight in the hutch (outside) and one of them hasn't moved from under the stairs for the past few hours is that normal? When he first went in he was eating and exploring but he hasn't ventured upstairs yet?

It may be he’s just not used to the ramp. Did you glue something to it so they have good grip? Does it have sides and is it quite a gradual slope? If it’s too steep you could sit there and on a brick or similar. Also make sure there is hay and water downstairs too.

You could try putting a little as mount if food up the ramp.

Yes it’s normal for a new piggy to do this.

Also consider that guinea pigs aren’t natural climbers and some won’t use ramps. Single storey living spaces are their preference.

Thankyou for the replies.

Yes there is food downstairs and Hay and a drink but they don't seem to have drunk much either would it be best if I put a bowl near the back as well?

Yes I will try with the food thankyou. I was more concerned as he didn't seem to have moved for a long time from his position.

Thankyou for the replies.

Yes there is food downstairs and Hay and a drink but they don't seem to have drunk much either would it be best if I put a bowl near the back as well?

Yes I will try with the food thankyou. I was more concerned as he didn't seem to have moved for a long time from his position.

The amount a piggy will drink will vary. Some drink a lot, others very little. They also get fluid from their veg.
You certainly can put a bowl towards the back. Do just remember that bowls get hay, bedding and poop in them quite quickly so need refreshing frequently.

If they are new, they are going to be scared so yes it is to be expected to a certain extent. Often you find they move about and eat when it’s dark/nobody is around.
Make sure to fill hides with hay so they can eat and remain covered. Cardboard boxes with holes cut in are good for them to hide in.

The amount a piggy will drink will vary. Some drink a lot, others very little. They also get fluid from their veg.
You certainly can put a bowl towards the back. Do just remember that bowls get hay, bedding and poop in them quite quickly so need refreshing frequently.

If they are new, they are going to be scared so yes it is to be expected to a certain extent. Often you find they move about and eat when it’s dark/nobody is around.
Make sure to fill hides with hay so they can eat and remain covered. Cardboard boxes with holes cut in are good for them to hide in.
Thankyou

Are they together? As in not one upstairs and downstairs.
My very first piggies years and years ago were put in a hutch, terrified, one ended up upstairs and one downstairs, because one was more confident using the ramp. This meant I had two baby pigs who thought they were alone in this scary new place and hutch.
One of them got sick, likely from stress, but I was lucky to catch it early.
I then placed them together and they started eating and exploring more straight away.

Give them time, I know it’s hard. Sit by the cage and just speak about anything, let them get to know you.
Hopefully with your support they will get more comfortable and be able to manoeuvre the cage a bit easier.

For the ramp, I would recommend you place some sort of carpet or just anything with grip on it, as they are normally very steep and piggies are not really climbers.

Just a thought as wouldn't want you to make the same mistake I did.
I’ll attach the link to a couple guides you may find helpful, feel free to have a look through them.
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

My very first piggies years and years ago were put in a hutch, terrified, one ended up upstairs and one downstairs, because one was more confident using the ramp. This meant I had two baby pigs who thought they were alone in this scary new place and hutch.
I then placed them together and they started eating and exploring more straight away.

Give them time, I know it’s hard. Sit by the cage and just speak about anything, let them get to know you.
Hopefully with your support they will get more comfortable and be able to manoeuvre the cage a bit easier.

For the ramp, I would recommend you place some sort of carpet or just anything with grip on it, as they are normally very steep and piggies are not really climbers.

I’ll attach the link to a couple guides you may find helpful, feel free to have a look through them.

Thankyou so much for this-yes one had gone upstairs and one downstairs and I've moved then together now and they are both running about the cage now and eating and drinking. They were together when we first put them in but then one went up the ramp and the other one didn't.

Thankyou so much for this-yes one had gone upstairs and one downstairs and I've moved then together now and they are both running about the cage now and eating and drinking. They were together when we first put them in but then one went up the ramp and the other one didn't.
That’s exactly what happened to me!
I wasn’t sure if I should mention it, but I’m glad I did.

You can gently encourage them to go downstairs/upstairs, I have found once they do it once/twice they feel a lot better about it. And a carpeted ramp will help.

All the best, settling in and creating a bond will take time, but you will get there! x

Lots of time and patience are needed as new piggies settle in.
As prey animals their default position is ‘ you’re going to eat me ‘.
Talk to them anytime you’re with them and offer food from your hand.
Eventually they will associate you with good things and learn to trust you.
It can take weeks but is worth all the time invested.

Welcome to the forum

It can take a few days with some pigs before you see much of them at all! Give them time and peace and they'll come out of their shell.

Hi again, they have now been together most of the day downstairs but I have just checked on them and the more confident one (Dustin) has gone back upstairs and left poor Rocky downstairs should I be moving them back together every time not sure what to do for the best as have been trying to gain trust/bond before handling them as I was advised?

Hi again, they have now been together most of the day downstairs but I have just checked on them and the more confident one (Dustin) has gone back upstairs and left poor Rocky downstairs should I be moving them back together every time not sure what to do for the best as have been trying to gain trust/bond before handling them as I was advised?
Have you tried almost herding them together.

Unfortunately this would mean moving them around using your hands/arms to “herd” them.
If Dustin was upstairs for example, I would urge him to make his own way down so they can be reunited, then herd them both towards the bottom of the ramp. Generally speaking they will be a bit nervous and go together, and when he watches Dustin get a bit scared and go up the ramp, 9/10 times he will follow along.
Same goes with the other way round, once they have used it a couple times, they eventually get the hang of it.

I am not 100% sure what the proper method is for this, but I do know baby guinea pigs take things in and are constantly learning.
In a group or in any case of a older pig and baby relationship you will see a lot of mirroring and teaching from a baby, taking in the world and learning what it’s all about through an older counterpart, and this is quite important as you can guess. So as this is taken away, everything becomes a lot more nerve-wracking, I imagine almost like not being given a directions to a important work dinner ;)
Your babies (I am not sure if they are babies) will be looking for company right now, which is why I find sort of forcing them (gently) to take this step a needed/good one.
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

I apologise as I am continually bringing it up, but is there anything on your ramp? Or anything underneath the ramp to make it less steep.
Ramps in Cages

I personally find this to be part of the issue with two storey hutches (that and the fact piggies prefer a single level living space with upper levels not counting towards the floor space (it’s only the bottom level). For some piggies they just don’t work and while most will probably learn to use a ramp, not all will.
If this is happening repeatedly to the point one piggy is becoming distressed at being left alone, I would actually block the ramp up so they stay together certainly while they are new and still settling in. Give them access to the ramp once they are feeling more confident.

I do completely agree though - it is important the ramp has a good gripping surface, has sides/is covered.
I have had two storey hutches when Dexter and Popcorn were younger. I blocked the ramps up mainly because as it was much easier to keep a single level warm in winter.
When they did have the ramp I used Velcro to attach vetbed to it and provide grip.

Have you tried almost herding them together.

Unfortunately this would mean moving them around using your hands/arms to “herd” them.
If Dustin was upstairs for example, I would urge him to make his own way down so they can be reunited, then herd them both towards the bottom of the ramp. Generally speaking they will be a bit nervous and go together, and when he watches Dustin get a bit scared and go up the ramp, 9/10 times he will follow along.
Same goes with the other way round, once they have used it a couple times, they eventually get the hang of it.

I am not 100% sure what the proper method is for this, but I do know baby guinea pigs take things in and are constantly learning.
In a group or in any case of a older pig and baby relationship you will see a lot of mirroring and teaching from a baby, taking in the world and learning what it’s all about through an older counterpart, and this is quite important as you can guess. So as this is taken away, everything becomes a lot more nerve-wracking, I imagine almost like not being given a directions to a important work dinner ;)
Your babies (I am not sure if they are babies) will be looking for company right now, which is why I find sort of forcing them (gently) to take this step a needed/good one.
Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

I apologise as I am continually bringing it up, but is there anything on your ramp? Or anything underneath the ramp to make it less steep.
Ramps in Cages
I will try herding them together thankyou. They are babies they are 8 weeks old, on the ramp there are wooden ridges so they can get a grip on them to go up if that makes sense? I have seen him start to attempt to go up but he got a bit spooked and gave up. Thanks for the advice again.

I will try herding them together thankyou. They are babies they are 8 weeks old, on the ramp there are wooden ridges so they can get a grip on them to go up if that makes sense? I have seen him start to attempt to go up but he got a bit spooked and gave up. Thanks for the advice again.

Those wooden ridges are rarely enough in their own. They are usually too far apart and too slippery in between them.
I would put something either over the whole ramp or cut pieces and stick in between the ridges. As I say, I used Velcro and vetbed which meant it could be removed and washed

Those wooden ridges are rarely enough in their own. They are usually too far apart and too slippery in between them.
I would put something either over the whole ramp or cut pieces and stick in between the ridges. As I say, I used Velcro and vetbed which meant it could be removed and

I would put something either over the whole ramp or cut pieces and stick in between the ridges. As I say, I used Velcro and vetbed which meant it could be removed and washed
Right I will try that as well will have to order some as I don't have any. Thankyou

I have the bluebell hutch, the gaps are way too big and my boys really struggled with them.
I only recently found out about filling in the gaps with fleece/vetbed, even a towel or something. Works great.

I have a baby right now, but he managed the ramp well with the carpet and the guidance of his older pal, but he is certainly very weary about everything.
Let us know how you get on x

I agree with the idea of blocking or removing the ramp until they settle in a bit more. Once they are happy and confident they will be better able to enjoy the upper level, together or apart.

Just an update ...today they both managed to go up and down the ramp successfully so now they have done it a few times I'm hoping they will be more confident but will definitely get something to put between the ridges as advised as can see it is a bit slippy in between. Thanks for all your help.

Also please could I ask all your advice about how much vege I should be feeding them as I read a cupful each but also read that it should be introduced slowly to babies and they are only 8 weeks old?

Sorry if I should have recreated a new thread for this not sure new to all this (forums and Guinea pigs 🤣).

Thanks once again everyone for been so helpful.

Also please could I ask all your advice about how much vege I should be feeding them as I read a cupful each but also read that it should be introduced slowly to babies and they are only 8 weeks old?

Sorry if I should have recreated a new thread for this not sure new to all this (forums and Guinea pigs 🤣).

Thanks once again everyone for been so helpful.

One cup each per day is fine.
Were they pet shop piggies? If so then it is unlikely they will have had much variety in veg thus far so you will need to introduce anything new slowly.

One cup each per day is fine.
Were they pet shop piggies? If so then it is unlikely they will have had much variety in veg thus far so you will need to introduce anything new slowly.
Yes they were and they said they had been having 1 cabbage leaf a day each for vege.

The guide below has an example of a portion of veg. The staples are a lettuce leaf (except iceberg), a sprig or two of coriander and a slice of cucumber and bell pepper.

That’s pretty much all my piggies have. Sometimes I buy green beans. If we have celery for cooking (my husband is the one who usually buys it) then they may get a slice maybe 2-3 times a week.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

The guide below has an example of a portion of veg. The staples are a lettuce leaf (except iceberg), a sprig or two of coriander and a slice of cucumber and bell pepper.

That’s pretty much all my piggies have. Sometimes I buy green beans. If we have celery for cooking (my husband is the one who usually buys it) then they may get a slice maybe 2-3 times a week.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Thankyou that is very useful.

I also think I may have put too many pellets out to start with as was more than a tablespoon 🙈

Yes they were and they said they had been having 1 cabbage leaf a day each for vege.

I would remove cabbage from the diet. It’s fine to have a small amount of it occasionally but too much can lead to bloat and isn’t exactly a balanced diet!

And yes as Siikibam has said you know about the pellets now so don’t worry.

Definitely introduce the four safe daily veg to them in small quantities at first so as to not cause a tummy upset. Once that basis is sorted, you can start to introduce other veggies in rotation for variety. Do everything slowly to begin with though.

I personally feed a bit differently in that for my piggies their diet is mostly lots is hay but also slightly more than is pictured in the way of veg, fresh forage and grass. (eg they get quite a handful of herbs as the basis of their veg diet not just two sprigs).
I like to encourage a wet diet for good urination and reduce the risk of bladder problems. I hardly feed any pellets though, they don’t get them daily.

Back